+ Reply to Thread

Default Window trim suggestion

Would like some opinions on an idea I have for trimming out some existing windows to make them pop off the wall a little better and be more of a focal point in th room.
    We built a new home a few years ago and in our family room we have 4 large casement windows 72 x 62 each, drywall-wrapped, no-sills, separated by about 12" of drywall between each window. The window frames are white and the drywall is a tan / light brown earth tone. The appearance is a very clean, modern finish which is very much our style. However, now that the lake that we overlook has been landscaped with shrubs and fountains, we would like to keep a clean / modern appearance but make the windows be have a more dramatic appearance on the inside and be more of a focal point in he room.
    I don't like traditional moldings and don't think they would suit the rest of our home, but I discussed with an interior designer and was wondering if you have any opinions about installing trim, about 1" thick and 5" wide all around the window opening, painted white, essentially creating a picture frame around each window. The interior edge would remain drywall wrapped to enhance the contrast between the bright white frame and the window.
    I've never seen this before. The concept seems pretty cool, but is there anything I should be concerned about before moving ahead and doing this. Has anybody seen anything like this?

Opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Window trim suggestion

I've seen something similar and it looks nice.

Use top materials and get a good finisher to installer and enjoy the view.

Send pictures plz.

I have problem suggest me.PLZ
    Actually my bathroom's door is wooden and swollen to its original size that is why door don't close properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jack42 View Post
    I have problem suggest me.PLZ
    Actually my bathroom's door is wooden and swollen to its original size that is why door don't close properly.
    Wood doors expand and contract. Shave a little off the door for smoother operation.

take a very small amount off the latch side. but if its really tight you'll have to take upwards of 1/8" off the hinge side and re mortise the hinges
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I've done similar with this kind of window and it works well. If you have scrap moldings or can get some, tape them in place with painter's tape to get a better visualization of what the finished product will look like to help you select the right molding.

If your 1X5 idea turns out too plain to suit you, apply a back-band or window stop molding to the edges to dress it up a bit.

Phil