+ Reply to Thread

Default Need New Ceiling

I just bought a condo in an old building with plaster ceilings. the ceilings are in bad shape and the contractor I spoke said that the best (and least expensive) solution is to just install blue board over the existing plaster. Is that a good idea? Thanks.

Default Re: Need New Ceiling

If it was my condo I would remove the plaster all the way to the framing and add resilient channel, aka (Hat Channel,Z-channel) to the ceiling framing. Using sound board and 5/8" Fire proof sheetrock especially if you have a 2nd story condo with neighbors above you. The noise level will be reduced with this type of construction.

Just remember there is a right and wrong way for this type of construction installation.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for the reply Gizmo. We bought this condo as an investment property so we want to keep the costs down. Do you think this will be sufficient as a substitute for doing this the right way?

If it was ine I wouldnt go over the plaster ceiling unless it was nice and flat and secured tight to the framing,,,,,,
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo's suggestion is solid, but if money is an issue, go with the cheaper suggestion your drywall man gave you.

Final results dpend on how flat the plaster is.

I couldn't resist chiming in as we're dealing with exactly this issue right now. All of the contractors we talked to about the sagging/cracking plaster ceilings told us they'd just blue board over it ("everyone does it this way" they told us). As long as they can get the blue board secured tight to the framing above the plaster I presume you're alright, as Gizmo as dj1 has suggested. We were worried about the drop in the ceiling (yes it's only 1" or so, but our ceilings are low) and also about what happens as the plaster above continues to fail. Maybe the pro's on here can comment on whether that ever actually becomes an issue at some point after you blue board over it.

We just ripped out the plaster ourselves (dry wall is going up on Monday). If you're willing to put a little elbow grease and time in, demoing the old ceiling is a piece of cake (particularly if you don't have blown in cellulose throughout like we did!). Messy, but not too bad and you'll probably save a few $$ leaving the contractor clean framing to attach blue board to.

I have to agree with your contractor about it being the cheapest way. They will use longer screws to compensate for the thickness of the plaster so it should prevent the plaster from sagging anymore.

However, everyone else here is right as well. When I say the ceiling should not sag when done right, I am assuming that there are no other problems such as rotted, cracked or broken framing elements. You can't know this without removing the plaster. But if you remove the plaster and find other problems, then those will have to be addressed.

Removing the plaster is the right way and the best way, but just going over it with blueboard is the cheapest.