+ Reply to Thread

Default no shim door install specialty screws

a few years back there was a show where they had a sleeve that was threaded on the inside and outside. the sleeve would get screwed into the frame of a door in a predrilled hole and then another screw was threaded through the sleeve and into the rough framing . when you tighten on loosen the screw it would move the door frame left or right for leveling , doing away with the need for shims. would anyone out there have any idea what the screws are called or where to find them ? i have done alot of searching but cannot find any info .thank you

Default Re: no shim door install specialty screws

i know what you mean but this is more of a commercial knock down steel jamb method not so much with wood.

you can use wood screws and drive them into the jack stud to act as shims.. in combination with a long level you just adjust the depth of hte screw and nail teh jamb hard to the screws
    fire up the saw and make some dust

About 20 years ago I had several door installations of this nature. To be quite honest, shims are far easier to work with than those stupid adjustable fasteners.

If you want a similar installation technique, then use screws and predrill the jamb larger than the screw shank so that the screw slips in the jamb. You'll still need shims to take up the slack between the jamb and framing, but the screws will allow you to adjust the door to your heart's content.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i saw those screws also. from what i rememeber seeing they seemed to work rather well. never used or found them. if i'm not mistaken it wasn't the screw that they were showcasing, it was the door. so my guess is that one of the door manufacturers made the screws that might have come with their doors. sorry but i don't rememeber who the manufacturer was.

the door was a wooden door, and the show was just about a basic door install. the guys were using the special screws because they were a new product that they found. i install doors all the time and am realy wanting to try the screws out . i know all the other methods of installation but after seeing that show i have been very interested in trying something new...just cant find where to get them. thanks again

If you can find the show, there should be credits for the products used, which will give you something to search for. You might also try a door and millwork company that specializes in all things doors, they may have some options or advice of where/what to look for.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What you refer to is called a "Jamb-Jack" and I've seen them in wood and metal frames. They work OK, but I prefer shims because those screws only support he center where the are, while shims support the whole width of the jamb and prevent twisting. You can also shim were you want, but the screws are per-installed and may not be where they're needed. I've never seen Jamb-jacks sold separately and can't remember whose doors they were in but if they were as good in action as they thought the concept was we'd see more of them.

Phil