+ Reply to Thread

Default whole house trap

My question refers to the whole house trap.
    Is the trap really necessary to have. I am replacing a broken laundry room floor drain and in order to do it right (get a clean cut) I decided to expose the waste pipe (pvc) outside the foundation wall. My father in-law arrived and explained that I needed to add a house trap since there is only a straight 4 inch pipe leaving the house with cleanouts( 1 on both ends vented every 50 ft) I guess it makes sense if the floor drain would dry out. would it be necessary if I didnt have a floor drain at all?

a lil bit of knowledge can ....

Default Re: whole house trap

Yes, you need a trap on the washing machine drain.

sorry I must not have explained it correctly, the washing machine dumps into the main waste line before the new floor drain (only in case of spills). my real question should be is the house trap outside the founndation walls necessary? I didnt think so since there are traps on every sink, toilet etc...

thanks

If every fixture has a trap, you don't need whole house trap on the main line.

A cleanout is a good idea to have.

In most areas house traps are not allowed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by rico90210 View Post
    My question refers to the whole house trap.
    Is the trap really necessary to have. I am replacing a broken laundry room floor drain and in order to do it right (get a clean cut) I decided to expose the waste pipe (pvc) outside the foundation wall. My father in-law arrived and explained that I needed to add a house trap since there is only a straight 4 inch pipe leaving the house with cleanouts( 1 on both ends vented every 50 ft) I guess it makes sense if the floor drain would dry out. would it be necessary if I didnt have a floor drain at all?

a lil bit of knowledge can ....
    Well i guess you need to trap whole house and especially the main lines , clean it will other wise it will get messy again.