+ Reply to Thread

Question Thermostat Question (Bolier and AC Handler)

I have a Boiler in the basment and a AC Handler in our attic.

Which a thermostat which is prob from the late 70's. I would like to get one that is digital and programable to save some money on our heating and cooling bills.

Can I just get any one that I like or do I have to get a HVAC company to install it since it is not the same unit?

I would like to get one with an outside senser so that we can have it know when it is hot out side to not to keep the heat on if it is above 70 degrees if that is an option. I think I saw that one with Rich on a TOH but not sure where to get that one or a name so that would be great if you know if that would work in this setup as well.

Default Re: Thermostat Question (Bolier and AC Handler)

You don't need to get a thermostat that says "Carrier" on it if your unit is Carrier for instance. Most of them are universal.

Why do you want to change your thermostat? is your current one not functioning?

Personally, I'd get the simplest one I can find. My experience with the digital/programable ones says "no".

Now to the colored leads: follow the instructions. If you don't understand them, get an A/C tech to help you.

Default Re: Thermostat Question (Bolier and AC Handler)

If you have the Carrier Infinity System you need the Carrier Stat that is made for that system. Your Stat is not the out door reset, the reset is mounted outside and tells the boiler the outside ambient temp. If it's warmer outside then the Boiler will adjust via the Reset. The best thing to do is get an HVAC Co. that knows what there doing and save yourself a headache.