+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior door jamb

I'm going to replace an exterior door and hoped to buy a prehung steel door at my local home center. Only issue is jamb size - the home center only has doors on hand with 4-9/16'' jams. My jam size is 6 9/16'' which they tell me would be a special order.
    Can I cut some jam extensions and use the prehung 4-9/16'' inch unit? Would that require taking apart the prehung assembly to assemble?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Exterior door jamb

you can absolutely make your own jamb extensions. i do it more often than i'd like to. you don't have to take apart the jamb that comes with the door. there's several ways to do it but the easiets for me is to use a biscuit joiner. you cut biscuit slots in the jamb and in your extensions, glue it together and i always add a few brads to hold it together until it dries instead of clamps, which you should use, but time is usually not on my side.

i'm sure the others on here have their own ways of doing this so you'll probably be getting some additional ideas pretty soon.

IMO, you don't want extension jambs on an exterior door; the latch will drag across the wood and leave a streak, and eventually wear through the paint; the door will not open much past 90 degrees. It's unwise to add the extension jambs on the outside because the threshold will not reach out to the wall line (you can't add a wood extension to a metal sill)
    Order the 6" jambs.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

both are right, to reduce the chance of the latch bolt scraping the paint as casey mentions the best thing to do is to install the extensions with a 1/4" reveal to the door jamb. this will create a shadow line and give the hinges more room to properly operate. if they installed too tight the hinges will have a hard time operating
    fire up the saw and make some dust