+ Reply to Thread

Default Help identifying this tool

Can anyone identify this tool? It was posted on a guitar forum by someone who found it in his parent's attic. No one has been able to identify it and the guesses are pretty wild from ice pick and chipper to installation tool for weather stripping and something relating to tanning hide.

Hopefully this is the right place.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Help identifying this tool

i see a white rectangle

It looks like it was made to cut a round hole in a veneer. Why do you think it was used for guitars?

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    It looks like it was made to cut a round hole in a veneer. Why do you think it was used for guitars?
    It was posted on a guitar forum, I didn't say it was for guitars. It was in the off topic threads. The guy just found it in his parent's attic and didn't know what it was for. Cutter with the point being a sort of compass has been suggested but no examples have been found. Here is a link to the thread on the guitar forum - more pictures on the last page.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-c...g-related.html
    Last edited by telleutelleme; 01-10-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    It was posted in an off-topic thread on the guitar forum. OP thought it was used for fishing in some manner.

I'm seeing a tool that has a pointy thingy and a rake-y thingy. Its appearance and construction does not lend itself to having any accuracy to its function, which would limit its use to very limited application. If I had to guess, it was a tool that was packaged as an adjunct to something else, as opposed to having a specific use on its own.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Congratulations on attaching a file to your post. You are the first in years who's been able to do so!

The day you throw it away is the day you discover it's true purpose... and you'll wish you still had it.

I looked through the responses on the other forum, entertaining if not educational. The original poster indicates the arms are aluminum, but they could be magnesium or titanium, which would make them stronger than they seem. That could increase the possibilities of use. I'm thinking it's something to spread something apart: the comb and pick bite into something, and you push the middle portion in. When the middle portion goes past center, pressure from the item being spread locks the tool into position. You release it by pulling the center handle; the scallops provide a place for your fingers to grip. Doesn't seem like a really GOOD design, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 01-12-2015 at 12:56 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.