+ Reply to Thread

Default Clogged kitchen sink

We have a double kitchen sink, connected to a dishwasher. Our a/c unit also drains into the line from the attic. There is a vent on the roof. Everything was installed 6 years ago during a remodel. The sinks have been running slow recently and are now gurgling. We removed the trap and there was nothing there. We ran a garden hose through the line and it did not back up. We had the septic cleaned. What is our next option?

Default Re: Clogged kitchen sink

It sounds like the horizontal pipe after the trap is getting clogged with grease. There are a few things to do;

1- Flush with large amount of very hot water (eco friendly, my first choice since you can DIY)
    2- A commercial de-greaser (easy but harsh on the septic system)
    3- Snaking the drain line (labor intensive but well worth the effort as you get feedback when you look at the snake when you pull it out)

Thanks. Makes sense. I boiled water and put it in the left sink (the one with the most problem), put in a half bottle of white vinegar, let that sit for a minute, then ran hot water for about 5 minutes. It wasn't going down, so I plugged the right sink with a rag and plunged the left sink. (I was hoping it wouldn't affect the dishwasher!) The clog seems to have loosened. Yea! Glad the problem was not somewhere in the main line or caused by the vent!!

Ah if its one sink more than the other, then look at the " T " connector under the sink. Most times there is an annoying little flap / diverter in there that catches potato peelings and such and gets clogged. Remove, clean, replace.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Friendly reminder: some things, like potato skins, noodles or bones, can't go in the garbage disposal.

Smile Re: Clogged kitchen sink

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Friendly reminder: some things, like potato skins, noodles or bones, can't go in the garbage disposal.
    Here's the exception...

I don't have a garbage disposal. Thanks anyway.