+ Reply to Thread

Question Replumbing Hot & Cold Supplies in house

My house's water pipes are in need of replacing. From leaking joints to been cut into and rewored from Galv to copper with out dialetric connections which are now starting to show failure. Not to mention there are no shutoff valves other then the main and one on each side of the water heater.

So I want to rerun the lines in either Copper or PEX. My question is should I do replace how they are now. Goes from main to kitchen, then bath, etc or should I run home runs for each room back to main and back to water heater?

Which is most effecent?

I am thinking about replacing the water heater at same time as well as correcting a leaky shower valve/laundry tub at same time. So this is going to be a long weekend job. Would like to run the new get it all set then just have to cut the items in one by one after I cut out the old. So wife and kids are only kicked out for a day or two rather then the whole weekend.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Replumbing Hot & Cold Supplies in house

Sounds like you need a complete repipe job.

I'd go with L type copper (the most expensive option, yet the most reliable).

Depending the size of your home (1 story or 2) and how many plumbers are on the job, cuttind and soldering, it will take more than a day to complete (withour repairing any holes in the walls).

How to do the runs? every plumber will tell you a different story, but I'll tell you this: all plumbers want to save on materials (pipes, connectors, solder and everything else).
    I like to have 1/2" pipes to the each of the various locations from a main line in the attic, or 3/4" to service 2 locations.

Unless you know what you're doing, don't try to DIY.

What you use for pipe depends on you ability. How much experience do you have with soldering copper? If it is limited then PEX may be the way to go. If your not concerned with cost or time then go with copper. What ever pipe you use when sizing the pipe run 3/4" mains with 1/2" branches to each fixture. Avoid putting two fixtures in 1/2"

John

i have a couple of points to add. the first thing that jumps out at me is using 3/4" after the hot water heater. if you use 3/4" pipe from the water heater to the fixtures, or for more than a few feet from the heater, it will take forever for the water to get hot at the fixtures.

i'm 100% pro pex. it's a breeze to install. you'll be able to run pipe to all the fixtures in one day easily. my house is all pex from a copper manifold i made in the basement to the fixtures. i made two manifolds, one for hot and one for cold, each manifold has 8 ball valves so that each shutoff will shut off each fixture in the house. and there is one spare hot and cold for future use. the hot water manifold is about 5 feet from the hot water tank and the manifold is fed by a 3/4" copper pipe then i have a 1/2" pipe running to each fixture.

i've been using pex for about 7-8 years and have yet to have an issue with it. our baseboard heat is even fed by pex. after my manifold was built i spent just over a day doing all the water supply and every baseboard for heat in the house.