+ Reply to Thread

Default Water in AC Unit Drip Pan

Hi

I live in Dallas TX.

I have central AC. The drip pan is collecting water - I guess from the coils icing up. However, the filters are new (always keep them clean and replaced regularly) and the air flow in the rooms is strong. I don't understand how the colis are icing up all of a sudden. Any ideas?

Default Re: Water in AC Unit Drip Pan

Sounds like your coil is dirty.

The coil is in what is known as "the pyramid" and the surface is probably clogged up (mainly dust).

A coil cleaning may solve your problem. It's a job for an a/c tech. I did two last summer and that was the cause for the ice.

The drip pan is supposed to collect water and that is not a sigh of the coils icing up. If the coils ice up, you will know because you will not get any airflow through the system and to your vents.

When the warm moist air is pulled across the coils, moisture condenses on the coils and drips down to the pan. The pan should have a drain on it to take the water away. If the pan is overflowing with water, then its drain is clogged up and needs to be cleaned. If your system is a gas pac where everything is located outdoors, then you will see the water on the ground around your unit and that is normal.

I agree with Keith, this is why it's important to have a Pre Season check done every year before you start your A/C. It also ensures that your Unit will be running trouble free for the summer.

Not at all unusual for the drip pan drain to become clogged as mentioned. If you can't figure out where it is or how clean it call a tech in to service the system. Probably not a bad idea anyway.

Icing coils are another issue,usually low refrigerant
    Last edited by ed21; 05-06-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Sten and Keith: Fidoray is reporting ice on the coil.

Condensation water in the pan - it's normal. Make sure the pan drains properly.

Ice on coil - needs service.

Fidoray: do you get any cold air?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Sten and Keith: Fidoray is reporting ice on the coil.

Condensation water in the pan - it's normal. Make sure the pan drains properly.

Ice on coil - needs service.

Fidoray: do you get any cold air?
    He is not reporting ice on the coils, he is guessing.

"I have central AC. The drip pan is collecting water - I guess from the coils icing up."

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    He is not reporting ice on the coils, he is guessing.

"I have central AC. The drip pan is collecting water - I guess from the coils icing up."
    Keith, you're right and I saw that. But I also saw what he wrote in the last sentence:

"I don't understand how the coils are icing up all of a sudden".

Meaning: there is ice on the coil.

If he knows the coils are icing up, that is he has actually looked at them, then he needs to get his AC inspected for leaks, repaired and then serviced. It's just not clear to me that he knows. But whether icing up or not, the point I was trying to make to him was that water in the drip pan is normal.

Unless he posts back, we will not know what he really means. It appears that he is not going to post back.