+ Reply to Thread

Cool Loss of Power-Duplex

One duplex outlet in sun room decided to stop working. All other outlets in room and leading to room work fine. Checked breakers and they seem fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Default Re: Loss of Power-Duplex

Before you do anything else, check the breaker again.

Some breakers get sticky, some have 2 clicks from off to on. How old is that breaker?

A simple test is switching breakers (size for size). If after installing a "good" breaker you still don't have power in the sunroom, then it's not the breaker.

A second test is to remove the duplex and see if power comes in.

Please report back.

It can be something in the duplex itself, most likely is, but based on your post, I suspect that you would be better off hiring an electrician.

A common complaint for receptacles that are wired using the stab connections rather than the screws.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack was right as usual. Old snap in wire, one was loose. It was end of run, so no other outlets were affected. Thanks

If one original outlet was 'back-stabbed' the rest probably are too Check them all before they give you trouble, and use the screw terminals instead. Better to prevent a breakdown when you have time to fix it than to experience it when you don't!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    If one original outlet was 'back-stabbed' the rest probably are too Check them all before they give you trouble, and use the screw terminals instead. Better to prevent a breakdown when you have time to fix it than to experience it when you don't!

Phil
    Good point Phil. After pointing out to one client that their problem was due to a "back-stabbed" receptacle I was told to check and repair all receptacles.

Having said that, I did find a "bad" high resistance receptacle (aluminum wire & running at 300 deg under load" that could not be detected visually. I replaced the receptacle and everything was fine.

Turns out the entire apt. complex had the same problem.