+ Reply to Thread

Smile heat loss through recessed ceiling lights

There are ten recessed lightsd in the ceiling of the living room, and another eight in the kitchen/dinning room. When there is snow on the roof, the areas where the lights are located have no snow. The heat is not coming from the lights being hot, because they are rarily used. It must be heat rising and getting to the roof through the light fixtures. The cathedral ceilings are insulated with fiberglass insulation. Any ideas?

Default Re: heat loss through recessed ceiling lights

This will solve the problem but I doubt will be cost effective;

Option A

Remove the old can fixtures and install new ones that can have direct insulation contact. Be sure to have insulation above them.

Option B

Buy LED lights and seal the trim ring to the bulb and to the ceiling drywall. Cree makes an excellent bulb with integrated trim ring found at Home Burrito

Option C

Remove the bulbs and install insulation during the winter. Re-install the bulbs in the spring.

Thanks.
    I guess the best way is to replace the cans with one's that I can place insulation against. I thought about replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs, but was told that the can will still generate heat. If need be, I will do a few at a time to defray the cost.

Someone fibbed to you about LED lights. They produce next to no heat. Check out Home Depot sku # 499485
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 05-02-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Maybe it depends on the type of LED bulb/fixture?? The bulbs that ive seen get super hot so they have big heat sinks attached to disperse the heat. They even have limits on where you can use them and wattage.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content