+ Reply to Thread

Default Rust stains on Succo Chimney

When we moved into our house, there was a rusted chimney chase cover that left rust stains streaking down our chimney. I have searched but haven't found the best method to remove rust from stucco. Also, since I will be high up on a ladder, I would prefer something that I don't have to scrub on or off. Any recommendations on tried-and-true products or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    raldin

Default Re: Rust stains on Succo Chimney

Most stain removers that will remove rust from masonary will have the following info for Safety.
    " Causes Severe Burns
    Harmful or Fatal if swallowed.
    Vapor Harmful.
    FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL APPLICATORS ONLY.
    You could use TSP from the local Hardware Clean as best you can.
    Than Paint with a Minerial paint.
    Water proof with a Silin waterproofing.

Behr 2In1 Deck Cleaner is a pretty good rust remover. It is basically oxalic acid in solution with other enzymes. It is fairly mild right out of the bottle, but I would use protective gloves and eyewear. When diluted, I never bother with protective gear when doing decks. I have gotten the solution one my skin with no effect. The new version of 2In1 is now diluted one to one. I would use it straight for your purpose of rust removal.

I foolishly fertilized my lawn using a product that was 5% Iron. Unfortnately, I failed to get a few of the pellets off the sidewalk and ended up with rusty dots. The Behr 2In1 Cleaner greatly reduced the staining.

The family summer cottage in Northern Wisconsin had a shallow well in which the water was loaded with iron. My father used a similar deck cleaner with oxalic acid to clean the toilet bowl and ceramic tile around the bathtub.

I would probably load up a garden sprayer with the solution. You need an all plastic sprayer. Acid is hard on metal. There are inexpensive hand held 1 1/2quart pressure sprayers available at garden centers.
    You must keep the stain saturated with the solution for several minutes. A scrub brush would also help. Try to avoid having the solution run down the wall, otherwise streaks might result. It might be a good idea to wash the entire chimney, starting from the bottom up. I would at least thoroughly dampen the entire chimney first. This is standard advice when trying to avoid streaks on areas being washed. Finally, rinse down the area with water after cleaning.

I use the Behr Cleaner yearly to lighten my driveway and exposed aggregate patios. I kind of found out be accident how good a concrete cleaner it is. I have about 250 feet of cedar fencing which I bleached backed to its new cedar look using 2IN1. I was mixing the solution on my driveway, and of course, splashing it on the surface. When done, I was amazed at how clean and new the concrete looked, so I just continued cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Behr 2In1 Deck Cleaner is a pretty good rust remover. It is basically oxalic acid in solution with other enzymes. It is fairly mild right out of the bottle, but I would use protective gloves and eyewear. When diluted, I never bother with protective gear when doing decks. I have gotten the solution one my skin with no effect. The new version of 2In1 is now diluted one to one. I would use it straight for your purpose of rust removal.

I foolishly fertilized my lawn using a product that was 5% Iron. Unfortnately, I failed to get a few of the pellets off the sidewalk and ended up with rusty dots. The Behr 2In1 Cleaner greatly reduced the staining.

The family summer cottage in Northern Wisconsin had a shallow well in which the water was loaded with iron. My father used a similar deck cleaner with oxalic acid to clean the toilet bowl and ceramic tile around the bathtub.

I would probably load up a garden sprayer with the solution. You need an all plastic sprayer. Acid is hard on metal. There are inexpensive hand held 1 1/2quart pressure sprayers available at garden centers.
    You must keep the stain saturated with the solution for several minutes. A scrub brush would also help. Try to avoid having the solution run down the wall, otherwise streaks might result. It might be a good idea to wash the entire chimney, starting from the bottom up. I would at least thoroughly dampen the entire chimney first. This is standard advice when trying to avoid streaks on areas being washed. Finally, rinse down the area with water after cleaning.

I use the Behr Cleaner yearly to lighten my driveway and exposed aggregate patios. I kind of found out be accident how good a concrete cleaner it is. I have about 250 feet of cedar fencing which I bleached backed to its new cedar look using 2IN1. I was mixing the solution on my driveway, and of course, splashing it on the surface. When done, I was amazed at how clean and new the concrete looked, so I just continued cleaning it.
    Ordjen,

Can the stains be primed and painted instead?

You could use a fog coat to cover the stains.
    Check El-Rey Fog Coat

dj,

Certainly the stucco can be painted, but if it is still virgin stucco, Clarence might have the better solution if cleaning does not remove the stains to satisfaction. Clarence, I believe, is suggesting blending in a new touch-up coat of stucco. Or,of course, the entire chimney could be given a wash coat of stucco.

Thank you for all of your responses. The stucco is not painted, so I would prefer not to apply a paint. I have concerns about the fog coat because it would seem that it would leave the stucco on the chimney a different color than the rest of the house. The only option I have seen that seems like a possible solution is the Behr 2 in 1 Deck cleaner. I've also seen a product called rusterizer that is supposed to remove rust stains without needing to scrub, but I don't know if it will work well on stucco.