+ Reply to Thread

Default Tuck tape vs ???

Does anyone know where to ge TUCK tape I think its red, and from Canada? Is there a similar tape for me to cover the seams with from the US. I have heard that TUCK tape is worth the expense and I guess they try to promote it on TOH and Holmes on Homes since this is all you see on their shows. Any ideas where to get this stuff? Thanks

Default Re: Tuck tape vs ???

I googled it and found it at Home Depot

3M makes a similar tape and you can get it everywhere, even on ebay.

I don't know exactly what your application is, but another option is gaff tape. (It's used by live audio production companies for taping cords to the floor.)

Gaff tape is a coated tight-weave fabric with a latex adhesive. It tends to lay flatter than duct tape, is more flexible, and has a dull finish. Unlike duct tape, the latex adhesive doesn't leave a residue and is usually safe for the finish on wood floors (if removed in a reasonable amount of time). It works pretty good for covering a fraying seam on low-pile carpet. I think it looks better than duct tape.

No tape is suitable for repairing padded vinyl chair cushions. It just won't last.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks for the info. This tape was going to be for the seams on the vabor barrier that will cover the insulation. Thanks that my clear up some of the inquiry.

i can get it at every building supply locally but im in canada, its standard item everywhere here and is used both for exterior use for taping eps seams, tyvek, taping off nailing flanges on windows and doors. plus for taping seams in vapor barrier

in the u.s you can get similar products but it usually doesnt go by "tuck tape" its called sheathing tape the last time i checked
    fire up the saw and make some dust

For seams in vapor barrier gaff tape would not be appropriate. Sorry if I misled you; you didn't say what seams you were taping, and I was too dense to notice this was in the "insulation" category.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I was able to find the underlayment tape for vb seams at lowes you have to order it. Thanks for the guidace.