+ Reply to Thread

Default Asbestos flooring in kitchen

I want to replace linoleum in kitchen (1950's house), but underneath it is green speckled asbestos floor tiles. Should I pull the lino up and replace, or just cover it up? Previous owner covered with ugly fake red brick linoleum. Money is tight but I want something that is eco-friendly with little off-gassing. Thanks.

Default Re: Asbestos flooring in kitchen

I'd prefer to remove the old flooring, bag it according to the disposal rules, fix the floor if I need to and start from scratch.

When removing the old floor, don't create dust, wear protective mask close the door that leads to the rest of the house and keep the windows open. Or you can hire a special crew for this purpose. It's worth the price.

asbestos has to be removed by a licensed professional. DO NOT do it yourself.

If this is over wood framing, the first thing to check is if the floor joists can handle ceramic tile. Head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum and use the handy dandy deflecto-lator.

If you aren't using ceramic tile or natural stone, then cover right over it with your new linoleum, engineered wood or flooring of your choice.

Exclamation Re: Asbestos flooring in kitchen

I personally think that if you are going to do this right you really need to have the old floor taken up by professionals and then if you want do the rest yourself. Think of it this way when you move someone will eventually want to replace the floor. Wouldn't it be nice if you had everything done right ahead of time. You can also think of it as something you would want someone to do for you. Whatever you do though don't do this yourself this needs to be done by a licensed asbestos removal company. Professionals have all of the proper equipment and you don't so play it safe both for you and the rest of your family.