+ Reply to Thread

Question Is there such a thing as a kink free hose?

I have purchased two hoses over the past few years that purport to be kink-free. They are vinyl hoses that while not the most expensive ones available, they weren't the cheapest easier. However, I am ready to commit to virtually any price to have a hose that won't get knotted. I have a hose reel which is essentially useless because I have to unwind the entire hose to use it; when wound up, the hose inevitably kinks inside the reel, preventing water flow. As you might expect, it also kinks when I drag it around to use.

I am willing to invest more significantly in my next purchase but want to choose wisely. Virtually every hose available says kink-free, which is apparently a liar, liar pants on fire situation, so I'm looking for advice. Weight and price will sacrificed as necessary for quality and kink free operation. Suggestions?

Default Re: Is there such a thing as a kink free hose?

The "kink free" means the hose has internal ribs that permit some water flow when the hose is kinked. In my opinion, it's misleading hogwash. Vinyl hoses are junk. When exposed to heat from sunlight, the vinyl shrinks unevenly, causing the hose to get permanent twists that increase the likelihood of kinking.

The kinks you are experiencing in your hose reel are likely due to the hose being twisted before it is wound onto the reel. You might have some success by putting a closed nozzle on the end and turning on the faucet (to "inflate" the hose), stretching it all the way out in a straight line, and untwisting the hose prior to reeling it up.

The hose reel itself may be the culprit. Too often, the connector on the inside of the reel is positioned so that the hose will kink right at the end (beginning) when it's wound up; this is a poorly designed reel, not a bad hose. You might be able to whittle a curved, tapered shim to prevent kinking of the hose.

I prefer heavy-duty rubber hoses; they seem to be more resistant to crushing and kinking, won't crack, and don't get stiff in cold weather. They are a little heavier and may be harder to handle. Make sure the couplings at BOTH ends are made of machined brass, not stamped sheet metal brass.

For those of you reading this who don't have a hose reel, winding your hose in a figure-8 pattern can prevent kinking. If you are familiar with the "over-under" technique that professional audio companies use for their cables (think traveling rock concert), that works good, too.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I've found out that garden hoses labled "heavey duty professional/commercial" (usually terra cota color hoses) will give you better performance than "kink free" hoses. I won't even touch the el cheapo hoses - which are totally worthless.

They are made of rubber, they do cost a bit more. You can find them everywhere.

Mine are dark grey, bought them at Home Burrito. Stay with the shorter lengths, 25', as the longer ones get heavy right quick

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Mine are dark grey, bought them at Home Burrito. Stay with the shorter lengths, 25', as the longer ones get heavy right quick
    Big Boxes like Costco and Sams usually carry the no-kink rubber hoses in the spring and summer months. I've purchased several there and have had great luck with them. They have been black, not that color means much.

As for length, it really depends on how and where the hose is being used. If you've got a lot of intricate places to get in and out of, then a shorter hose is better. If you've got a huge expanse to cover, then a longer hose will be necessary.

If money is a factor, you could spend a little more and buy a 100 foot hose, cut it in half and install a good quality replacement hose ends to the cut ends, basically getting two hoses for the price of one.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!