+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Contractor repairing foundation caused lots of cracks - normal?

I am having repair work done to part of the house. The repair company has caused many new cracks all along the walls, ceiling, tile floor, etc. Is this normal? Is this just part of having your foundation repaired or did they mess up? Should they be responsible for repairs?

Thanks.
    BQ

Default Re: Contractor repairing foundation caused lots of cracks - normal?

There is nothing more frustrating than seeing one contractor damaging something else while doing his job.

If the damage is insignificant, I let it go and fix it myself.

However if the damage is substential, I hold that sub contractor liable, do the corrections and deduct the costs of repair from his pay. My contract states that.

It really depends on the particular house and the work being done as to how much collateral damage there will be. I personally would have informed the homeowner of the possibility of further damage and to expect that additional repairs may be necessary, which would be addressed with a change order once the severity of additional work could be adequately addressed.

Having said that, regardless of the extent of work being done, an inexperienced or sloppy tradesman will make a mess where a more educated professional wouldn't.

The questions are, What were you told before the work started and what kind of tradesman did you hire?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

whenever i'm doing sturctural work such as replacing a main carrying beam, replacing a sill or replacing floor joists in a house, my contract states that there is a possibility of plaster cracking, tiles cracking, wood trim separating, etc. this is a possibility that the contractor should have made you aware of proor to starting any work. i always have a conversation with the home owner about what can happpen and how it will be resolved if it does happen.

if this conversation didn't take place or if there is nothing in the contract stating this, then the responsibility for any and all repairs lies on the contractor. make him fix every last issue and i'm sure he will me more consciencious the next time he tackles this kind of work. don't forget, this is why he carries insurance, for his mistakes.

funny, you beat me to the "submit reply" button by two minutes spruce.

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    funny, you beat me to the "submit reply" button by two minutes spruce.
    I'm old and slow, that must mean you're older and slower!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!