+ Reply to Thread

Default Window replacement on brick house

I have a early 60's house that I am replacing all the windows on soon. I have completely stripped the walls down to the studs and removed the old windows. There is a 2" gap between the brick and the sheathing. The new windoes will be mounted to the sheathing/studs but the big gap has me worried. What is the best way to make this water tight considering this large gap? The old windows relied on brick moulding and a lot of caulk but I can see they still leaked some. Anyone have a suggestion?

Default Re: Window replacement on brick house

You should replace your windows with steel doors or shutter doors if you really change your windows.Because this steel doors are make beautiful to your home and also breath fresh air for you in your room

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    You should replace your windows with steel doors or shutter doors if you really change your windows.Because this steel doors are make beautiful to your home and also breath fresh air for you in your room
    What the????? This made absolutely NO sense. Just like most of your comments, to be totally honest.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

That gap between the sheathing and the back side of the brick is there for air space and circulation that actually helps cool and heat your house.......Depending on what part of the country your from there should be weep holes with no morter on the bottom brick coarse every 4ft or so. Some brick layers the (old timers) would stick rope or oakum in the bottom brick joints to help breath,,,,,,rather that leaving butt seams open for bugs/ants to crawl in.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

If the brick molding doesn't cover the gap you can rip filler (furring) strips to an appropriate thickness and place them between the sash and molding to extend it over the brick more. If you don't have a table saw and are good with a skilsaw you might be OK, but any woodshop can rip these for you cheaply and they will look better when cut accurately. I prefer to glue and brad-nail these fillers to the molding before I cut it to size so that I can sand out any differences easier on the bench, which makes the install go easier too.

Phil