+ Reply to Thread

Question Metal tiles on walls - not traditional tin. Restoration?

Hi,

I have square and rectangular tiles on walls in my 1915 rowhouse (bought 5 years ago), that at first glance, everyone thinks is regular subway tile. (I wanted to attach an image, but could not get one to upload.) But the tiles are metal, almost certainly tin because aluminum would have been too expensive. The square ones are ~4" x 4", and the rectangular ones ~2" x 8.5". They were painted as part of their manufacturing - the square tiles white, the rectangular tiles red paint, but it is a very thin coat. I've been doing internet research, and cannot find mention of this type of tile anywhere, especially as used for my kitchen walls.

Does anyone have an idea of how old these tiles might be (i.e., would they have been original to the house?)

And how do I clean them without removing the paint? What paint would be recommended to refurbish the tiles that are in the worst state?

If someone could offer advice, or point me to a website that could help, I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks,

Annette
    Last edited by Kusimanse; 05-04-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Default Re: Metal tiles on walls - not traditional tin. Restoration?

Hi,
    This is the original poster here. A lucky break in an internet search resulted in my finding out what the tiles are. They are Vikon aluminum tiles from ~1950. However, there is very little information out there about them - especially on care and restoration - as well as a source for replacement tile. If anybody has any resources they'd recommend, I'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

Annette

Hi! I just discovered that I have the same type of 4" aluminum tiles in one of the bathrooms of my new home (built in 1952). I'm planning on tearing them all out.

Are you still looking for a source of replacement tiles? I also have some that are 2" x 4" that were used for trim. Most are blue, but the thinner ones are pink. I haven't found any info about repainting them.

Let me know if you'd like some/all!

Lauren Vodde

Thanks Lauren!

I'm really looking for white and red tiles, but thanks for the offer. I can see not wanting a blue and pink combination.... Blue tiles sound potentially cool, but I don't have a use for them lined up. However, if you can't find someplace local to recycle them, please post again, as I may be interested.(Being a new poster, I'm not allowed to give my email address for you to email though)

Thanks for posting!

Annette

funny I have several boxes of these tiles in silver and copper about 25sq ft total. Any interest?

Quote Originally Posted by notallthumbz View Post
    funny I have several boxes of these tiles in silver and copper about 25sq ft total. Any interest?
    How much are you askin for them?

New user here...I also just discovered these tiles behind drywall in my new (old) 1912 home. Am so excited to find at least a tiny bit of information here. I wondered if any of you still have tiles that you'd like to part with? Or further info about cleaning/restoring them--I have a lot that look original and alot that are quite damaged with drywall glue or just missing.