+ Reply to Thread

Default Vapor barrier, retardant or not???

Hello I am new and need some help with this basic question for you guys. I removed all insulation from my den and replaced it with Roxul which is a stone wool. This insulation has no paper on the side facing the room. It is highly recommended but i was confused when it came with no paper attached. This does stick rather nicely in the cavity in the wall.

My question is weather I should put anything on this or can I just place it in the wall cavity and place my drywall on it? I live in the Chattanooga TN area I think zone 4 from what I can tell on some maps I read about ******. It states I do not need anything. The old however that I did remove had it attached.

Should I place a 4 mil plastic sheet and tape. Would this be acceptable? Also on this old house I see they tape with red tape. I have researched this and it is tuck tape from canadian. Is there anythignin the US that performs the same function. Thanks for all your help in advanced.

I also read that vapor barriers can cause mold and moisture buid up so I am confused about this also I thought you should always put a vapor barrier on the outside walls?

Default Re: Vapor barrier, retardant or not???

The rule of thumb; The moisture barrier goes on the warm side of your wall assembly. In your case, since you are heating you home more often then cooling, the vapor barrier would go on the inside. This is reversed in southern climates such as my fair city.

4 mil poly is ok but can be tricky to work with and keep it from getting unruly. 6 mil may be a better choice.

Default Re: Vapor barrier, retardant or not???

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where to ge TUCK tape I think its red and from Canada? Is there a similar tape for me to cover the seams with from the US. I have heard that TUCK tape is worth the expense and I guess they try to promote it on TOH and Holmes on Homes since this is all you see on their shows. Any ideas where to get this stuff? Thanks