+ Reply to Thread

Default insufficient old crawl space, with sagging floor

I am having a hard time finding anyone to address this issue. I own a 75 yo house in washington state which has a very old addition added on. This addition has been made into a bedroom and the other half is a shop area. There is no real crawl space, the floor was built up about 18" off the ground. Until last year the wood floor has been sturdy for 40yrs or more, however, we had an outdoor leaky faucet, which created water damage on our interior drywall, then later we noticed the floor over the shop area is soft and sagging. I don't believe there is a true foundation, I've only seen some cement type bricks around the perimeter of this addition. Where do I start? We'll rip up the floor, but will we have to dig out a crawl space and put in new floor support, or do we need to actually build a new foundation also? Help, please.
    Last edited by barchoid@comcast.net; 04-30-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Default Re: insufficient old crawl space, with sagging floor

Until you pull up the floor it isn't possible to answer that question.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

First remove the existing floor, as JLM recommends.

With the floor removed, you can assess the situation: check the joists, their supports, etc. You may need a framing contractor to make corrections.

I agree with the others, but why do you have trouble finding someone to address the issue? Obviously they can't give you an accurate quote or commit to an entire project without knowing what it is involved but I don't see why they would completely turn you away if you understand that.

With your mention of the water I would say after ripping up the floor, pay attention to any supports that may have become rotted which seems to be the most obvious guess.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content