+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping workers

Default Tipping workers

I'm having the exterior of my house painted. The crew is great - the guys are friendly, industrious and neat. I would like to tip them when the job is finished if that is appropriate. There are five of them, one is the foreman. He does as much work as the others. Would I give him more? I can afford $50/each. If that's not enough I won't tip at all. I know some of them personally and they could use anything extra.

Thoughts or advice?

Default Re: Tipping workers

Speaking as a former contractor, I never expected a tip, nor did my workers. Of course, a gratuity for the workers would not be refused! I think your $50 figure is more than generous.

What I greatly appreciated was a customer who made you welcome, often offering morning coffee or cold drinks during hot weather. A simple gesture such as providing access to the washroom was also appreciated.

As the contractor, I felt my profit and "tip" was built into the price. Indeed, on occasion, a job would go far better than I had anticipated and I would actually lower the bill. The act endeared you to the customer and helped ensure his/her future patronage. An honest, skilled trademan never lacks for work, even in the most difficult times!

They all come with coffee in hand! So I bake something.

food tips are the best!! nothing makes our crew happier than baked goods.. a full belly saves us a trip to the store for food later anyway
    fire up the saw and make some dust

A sincere thank you is great. So is cash and everyone loves baked goods. Be sure to tell the foreman you are going to refer them for future work due to the craftsmanship of his crew. That will be the best reward.

Cool Re: Tipping workers

houston is right! refferrals are what keep us going in the industry. nowadays its hard to keep up with all the different companies in town. some are legit and some are fly by nighters, the way to succeed is to get your name out there as a quality builder. the company im with is unlisted in the phone book and doesnt directly advertise, were very well known around town for a high quality product and the only place you'll see our logo and number is on the company vehicles and in front of jobsites
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Donuts are good too. Did I mention apple fritters?

As there are so many ways to tip them but as per me main is just behave with them like family member and respect them and their work and you see what magic they do for you.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I certainly will refer them and have already but I will be sure to let them know that I'm going to. Sounds as if cash isn't necessary but would be appreciated, right? If $50 is too much what would be a proper amount - don't want to either over or under do it.

PS Sticky buns are on the menu for tomorrow. Today was blueberry muffins.

You don't want to make them fat now.

$50 each is generous and a good number in my book