+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Problem with door hinges

Some of the items you guys are recommending are plain funny...

I'll use food items for food, and WD 40, liquid wrench (or any lubricant I have) for the hinges. A drop or two is all we need here...

Smile Re: Problem with door hinges

Hey, I love the discussion and all the ideas (some of which are just a bit unusual) and I've tried silicon spray which works for awhile but fades. I will try the WD-40 and some 3-in-1 but I am also looking for other ideas about cleaning up the graphite. Has anyone tried a tack cloth?

A tack cloth will work if it is a dry dust, unfortunately, hinge dust could be graphite, could just be metal powder, probably contains oil of some sort, which means a tack cloth isn't going to cut it. The lighter fluid I suggested is probably your best bet and it shouldn't hurt the paint, but do test it first.

Typically, I use a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil on hinges because it is the easiest to apply. If you use WD-40 then you will need a rag held behind the hinge to catch the over-spray and dribbles.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I just a couple of weeks ago switched out a houseful of builder's hardware for nicer stuff (Baldwin and Emtek) and used simple windex to get the "graphite" off the white woodwork.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I Tried Peanut Butter!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I prefer PAM cooking spray to mayonnaise for hinges as it applies easier and the buttery smell is kindah nice.
    Hey- does this make HoustonRemodeler a "PAMMER" on this forum?

Sorry guy but I couldn't resist the pun! I'll go away now...
    Phil