+ Reply to Thread

Default Building a wall in the basement

The previous owners of my 6 year old home had a work out room in the basement. There is a 24 foot brick wall that is covered in mirrors. The mirrors are on tracks but they are stuck like chuck with some pretty tough adhesive. My solution is to build a wall with 2X4's on 16" centers about 3" from the mirrors. I will use treated lumber on the 2X4s that I will use on the floor and I will have two vents in the walls to allow for airflow. The top of the wall will open into the floor joist area where there is an unfinished ceiling. Is there anything else I should consider before moving forward with this project? There is no condensation or other moisture issues in the basement.

Default Re: Building a wall in the basement

What's the purpose of this wall?

The mirrors, if you seal around the edges with a polyurethane caulk, will probably provide an excellent vapor barrier (as long as they don't crack).

Or you could release all your frustrations by swinging a sledge hammer.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

The purpose of the wall is to cover up the mirrors. The wall will not be built onto the existing wall but 3-4 inches off of it.

I considered swinging the hammer but the volume of debris would be overwhelming. That would be a lot of glass to get rid of.
    Last edited by KozlowskiMD; 04-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KozlowskiMD View Post
    The purpose of the wall is to cover up the mirrors. The wall will not be built onto the existing wall but 3-4 inches off of it.

I considered swinging the hammer but the volume of debris would be overwhelming. That would be a lot of glass to get rid of.
    I see no problem building this wall the way you plan.

That seems like a lot of expensive work just to cover the mirrors, and you lose some floor space. Have you considered something decorative instead? Like curtains? Or paint? It's cheap and you can always cover it if you still don't like it. Or grasscloth glued onto the mirrors. Or woven matting. Maybe I'm just cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    Or grasscloth glued onto the mirrors. Or woven matting. Maybe I'm just cheap!
    Not a bad idea. If the mirrors aren't going to be removed, why not just cover them with wallpaper or other wall treatment. Sure would be a heck of a lot easier than building out a wall and you wouldn't lose precious space in the room.

If you don't like it, you can always build the wall later.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you decide to paint the glass mirror, shellac or BIN primer, a white pigmented shellac, is unbeatable for bonding to that slick glass surface.
    Your paint or wallpaper paste will then bond to it.