+ Reply to Thread

Question leaking poured foundation, is my curtain drain working

i have a two part question. background- foundation is just under 1 year old. we live in MA. 12" thick poured concrete. foundation has a tar/barrier below grade. there is a curtain drain and the egress was buried- i dug it up today. we have a crack ceiling to floor which can be seen inside and out - which started leaking a week ago during heavy rain. there is standing water in the back and side yard - the back is where the crack is.

1st ? - how can i validate the curtain drain is working? when i dug it up i was surprissed it was so dry inside the pipe. the exit is about 30' from the front of the house. the pipe is the flixible black perforated type.

2nd ? - what is the best method for sealing a crack in a poured concrete foundation? the builder i believe is just planning on digging from the outside and re-applying the tar barrier. we had a 3rd party contractor who proposed a exterior fix but with a glue and membrane application. And i have also heard about the 2 part epoxy from the inside - any insight as to pros and cons of each?

somehow i thought a new house would be less work but in my case that has not worked out...

thanks for any advice

Wink Re: leaking poured foundation, is my curtain drain working

First, more than likely your downspouts are connected to the french drain. You should be able to put a hose into that connection and see water coming out of the other end.

Second, I would get another opinion about the foundation from a structural engineer. Just re-tarring the wall isn't going to solve the problem. Whatever you do to the outside of the wall I would do to the inside also(except tarring). For example, if you are going to epoxy the exterior do the same on the inside. The contractor who wants to glue and use a membrane on the outside has a good idea, but I would verify it with the engineer.

Third, I would check into the legalities involving the original contractor's responsibility. It sounds as if he back filled the foundation wall too soon or too aggressively. He should bear the cost of the repair. The engineer probably could verify what caused the problem. Good Luck.

Calcats

Default Re: leaking poured foundation, is my curtain drain working

gorgasd ..... one thing regardless if you have a 12 inch thick poured concrete or block wall .... there will be cracks. However .... only after 1 year you shouldn't expect to see what you are experiencing.

The cause of the crack is difficult to say . If it's localized in this one area it may be from improper tamping of the undistured soil under the footings or a cold pour joint at this area.

Having said that .... digging out the area and patching the crack on the exterior and coating it with an elastomeric waterproof coating ( not the black tar like damp proofing currently there ) along with a drainage membrane would be a preferred method. Using epoxy or hydraulic cement to fill the crack work equally fine .... doing this to the interior doeasn't matter other than for asthetics.

As for the perimeter drain .... if they don't seem to be functioning then the builder should be excavating the entire perimeter to either repair or replace the drains.
    Ideally for only a few pennies extra per foot they should have used the black plastic drain covered wih a filter sock. This "sock " keeps soil from entering and plugging the drain system .

If you can convince them to do this I would suggest they redo the exterior foundation waterproofing described earlier for the patch.
    This way any cracks that will eventually occur will be protected by the elastromeic water proofing coating and the drainage membrane on the exterior from water infiltration.

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: leaking poured foundation, is my curtain drain working

Although we are most likely out of your work area if you visit our websites - aaahomerepair.com & waterproofingdanburyct.com you will find information reagrding your situation and all waterproofing systems...

If we can be of help via Email we would be happy to do so...

Good luck...

Jack/AAA

Quote Originally Posted by gorgasd View Post
    i have a two part question. background- foundation is just under 1 year old. we live in MA. 12" thick poured concrete. foundation has a tar/barrier below grade. there is a curtain drain and the egress was buried- i dug it up today. we have a crack ceiling to floor which can be seen inside and out - which started leaking a week ago during heavy rain. there is standing water in the back and side yard - the back is where the crack is.

1st ? - how can i validate the curtain drain is working? when i dug it up i was surprissed it was so dry inside the pipe. the exit is about 30' from the front of the house. the pipe is the flixible black perforated type.

2nd ? - what is the best method for sealing a crack in a poured concrete foundation? the builder i believe is just planning on digging from the outside and re-applying the tar barrier. we had a 3rd party contractor who proposed a exterior fix but with a glue and membrane application. And i have also heard about the 2 part epoxy from the inside - any insight as to pros and cons of each?

somehow i thought a new house would be less work but in my case that has not worked out...

thanks for any advice