+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blue water

Default blue water

I havent been in this house long but i am just noticing thar the water looks blue when i fill up the bathtub. I've read that this can be due to copper corrosion but im not sure how i can correct this or even identify the source or alternate issues.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: blue water

The source of blue water is unclear and experts in the field disagree. Could be in the water, could be in the pipes, could be in pipe connectors or solderings, could be in the grounding and could be in a few other places.

What to do? Try to eliminate possible causes.

If your neighbor gets his water from the same source as you and he doesn't have blue water, maybe it's not the water. Then you look at your plumbing system.

It may be a long and expensive process, but you got to start somewhere.

The cleaning block goes in the toilet tank, not in the well.

The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Haha no well here. Im getting my water from the city and i will have to talk to a few neighbors. Is copper the chemical causing this blue tint?
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Most likely it's the copper pipe. If there's sulfur in the water, depending on the sulfur compound, it could be reacting with the copper to create copper sulfate, which has a very deep blue (cobalt) color.

Look for a water testing laboratory in your area; they should be able to analyze the water and tell you what's going on. Water testing could cost $50-$250 or more, depending on the tests conducted.

When you take the water samples, follow the testing lab's instructions very carefully. Any contamination of the test bottles will skew the results.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.