+ Reply to Thread

Default Wallpaper - In or Out?

We just begun repainting our walls today and would like to know if wallpaper is in or out? We removed the dated paper in the powder room and after painting, it looked great. Now we are starting on the foyer and hallway and are trying to decide whether or not to remove the Border. Any suggestions as to what is in style nowadays? Thanks.

Default Re: Wallpaper - In or Out?

it's 99.9% a matter of personal taste. do what makes you happy. only advice i can give is to not do anything too dramatic if you're going to be selling the house anytime in the near future. another thing to consider is the age and style of the house, for instance in alot of old victorian houses, owners want to keep things looking as they did in that period which lends itself to wall papering.

I have to agree with MLBFS.

Most production houses built in subdivisions are painted with a generic color that goes with just about everything. It makes them easier to sell.

Most custom homes that are decorated with the consultation of an interior decorator are papered or have faux finished walls (sponge paint, faux leather, etc.)

Newer homes with drywall are generally painted because of the necessary extra steps that should be taken before papering.

Historic homes are generally papered to keep with the original style.

My personal preference is wallpaper but I have been doing papering for over 50 years.

You have to decide where you fit, you have to live with the results.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I have to agree with MLBFS.

Most production houses built in subdivisions are painted with a generic color that goes with just about everything. It makes them easier to sell.

Most custom homes that are decorated with the consultation of an interior decorator are papered or have faux finished walls (sponge paint, faux leather, etc.)

Newer homes with drywall are generally painted because of the necessary extra steps that should be taken before papering.

Historic homes are generally papered to keep with the original style.

My personal preference is wallpaper but I have been doing papering for over 50 years.

You have to decide where you fit, you have to live with the results.
    Jack
    Well said Jack,
    Debby
    Debby in Oklahoma