+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Paint over wallpaper

I am looking for the best way to remove wallpaper which has been painted over. The painted surface is hard and using a paper tiger hasn't worked. I can't get enough water behind the paint to soften up the paper layer to sc**** off. Has anyone used a chemical or other solution to soften the paint layer to remove it?
    Thank you

Default Re: Paint over wallpaper

Are you using just plain water or are you using a wallpaper remover such as DIF?

You need to put a surfactant in the water to break its surface tension so that it can penetrate through the holes made by the scoring tool. You can buy a product like DIF or you can simply put 1/4 cup of fabric softener into a gallon of warm water and use that.

Applying the paper remover is another factor. I use a sponge that will hold and control the water better than a rag, then you just keep wiping the surface down. If you can get a place started and access the paper behind, then you will have faster results than with the scoring tool alone.

Then there are steamers that warm and moisten the paper and glue. It should work even through paint, though I have never used a steamer, so I can't say for certain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've never used a chemical or solution before, but one technique is to give the walls a steam bath. You can either rent a wallpaper steamer or a home kit to treat your walls; however, if you're going to do it yourself, make sure that you know whether your walls are plaster or drywall. Drywall is a bit more vulnerable to water damage. :P

what you need to do is start in a corner and try to life the paperit should pull off or use a wall sc****r 5 in 1 any sharp edge to life an edge of the paper DO NOT WET THE WALLS when starting after you have some paper removed use dif or fast to loosen the rest of the remaining paper & backing using fabric softner will take a long time to work did it once way to slow unless you have all day to do a pro couldn't make any money doing with the softner i learned that trick 15yrs ago the best way to apply is with a roller make sure you give it time to work if it drys in 10 min reapply until it says wet good luck