+ Reply to Thread

Default Clean whitewashed stone basement

Hi,

My home has a sandstone basement dated from 1870. The previous owner had the basement painted, most probably with one of those white paints used to paint room walls and so. I wonder if there is a solution to take off the paint and let the sandstone surface free. The basement has around 20 sqm and I am trying to avoid the need to scrub the paint off. Will a pressure washing do the job?

The second question is: after cleaning the paint from the sandstone, which colourless product should I use to protect it while letting the stone 'breath'?

Any advice is welcome! :-)

Default Re: Clean whitewashed stone basement

A pressure washer might do the trick, but most likely a blast medium ( like walnut shells to prevent damage to the wall)i s in order.....this is a VERY messy solution BTW.
    The previous owner might have treated the wall with a primer sealant to keep moisture out, if this is the situation-you might wan to keep the with wash up!

Let us know what your final decision is please.

Thank you Drgnflys. I will try with the pressure washer and post the results. :-)

You are going to have a mess with gallons of water to clean up.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Well, there will be lots of water down there. Is there any alternative to the pressure washer?