+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to widen a doorway. Need advice (picture gallery inlcuded)

I have uploaded a gallery here to help show what I am asking about:

http://imgur.com/a/G1DCb

We are renovating our kitchen and want to widen a door way to put an island in. We do not believe this is load bearing and had a few friends tell us that it is not either. Just wanted a second opinion.

We are not taking the whole wall out and were told to place double studs on either end of the opening to add support, but because the joists are perpendicular to this wall we should not have any issues and would not need to add a support beam.

While there is a bathroom above I do not see an issue here from the guts I am looking at. We also have a living room that is the size of the kitchen and dining area combined with no wall erected in the center.

The beam you see in the last photo is the main beam in the basement to support the wall to the right of the one we want to open up. There are two of these beams for the center walls of the home that go up through the first and second floors. To me those have to be the load bearing ones.

Can anyone confirm that I can open this doorway with little worry? Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Default Re: Want to widen a doorway. Need advice (picture gallery inlcuded)

A doorway in a load bearing wall is going to have more than a flat doubled 2x4 as a header.

IMO, from the what I can see in your photos, neither the wall you want to remove nor the last doorway you reference to are load bearing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you are telling me that the red area in this photo:

http://imgur.com/a/G1DCb#TmR7H

can be safely removed then I am happy. I have been researching before I tear anything out and from what I have been seeing (especially because of the way this particular wall is constructed I am safe to do so.

Thanks for the advice!

That is correct, it looks like that section of wall can be removed without problem.

One thing I am seeing is a significant notch in that joist where the pipe transitions from the wall to the ceiling cavity. IMHO, you need to leave the 2x in that location to continue to support a weakened joist.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i agree with spruce that you can remove that wall without any problem. however, the second doorway, appears that it might be load bearing, especially if the main beam runs right under the second doorway. it also appears that the second doorway header might not be framed correctly.

I hope you understand that the advice you get here is based on the pictures you posted and therefore it would be a better idea to consult with a local contractor who gets to review the existing structure, and not from photos.

That being stated, It looks like Spruce's analysis is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    however, the second doorway, appears that it might be load bearing, especially if the main beam runs right under the second doorway. it also appears that the second doorway header might not be framed correctly.
    That may be true, very hard to tell from photos. If you look, not only is there no header to carry weight, the top plate is not solid, there is a joint on the right side. Given the era that the house was built, it's not likely that sort of thing would have happened. I could be wrong, but I've never torn apart something that old and found this sort of thing. What I have found is plenty of hack retrofit work, but this doesn't seem to be the case, at least from what I can tell from the photos.

Did I mention that it's hard to tell from the photos?