+ Reply to Thread

Default Need advice for exterior repair of foundation

I have some problem spots that need need repair on the exterior part of the foundation.

The foundation is exposed most on this side of the house.

I can not attach images, so please copy and paste this URL into your web browser, so you can see 4 photos (click to enlarge photos): flickr.com/photos/bradkenyon/tags/foundation/

What do you recommend I do with these problem spots?

Thanks in advance.

Needham, MA

Default Re: Need advice for exterior repair of foundation

According to your pictures you have a stone foundation. this is a very common repair with this type of foundation. basically over the years water has seeped into the mortar joints, froze and broke apart the mortar that holds the stones together. what you have to do is repoint your foundation. take out all the loose concrete with your hand, a screwdriver, a chisel, a hammer, etc. if the mortar appears to be in good condition, leave it there. then buy a bag or two of mortar, mix it up and fill the joints back up. the job can sometimes be a little tricky and depending on how visible it is, you might want to consider paying a mason for a day to go over your whole foundation and make the necessary repairs. if it's just a few small spots you should be able to do it yourself.