+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Help with tiling in bathroom!!

Hello,

My significant other is remodelling our bathroom himself, and has tiled the entire floor. My mother has said not to put heavy things such as a shower, toilet, or sink directly down on the tile as it loosens, and can later cause water damage underneath- she also has asked others at Home Depot and they agree with her. My boyfriend says this isn't true and we don't need to worry about it.

Help- what do I do- how can I prove otherwise that my boyfriend is mistaken- and there shouldn't be tile underneath a corner shower???

Thanks for any ideas or comments you can provide!

Default Re: Help with tiling in bathroom!!

Howdy, sounds like he did his best to make a nice tile floor. It is unusual to tile under a shower. The tile may interfer with the drain plumbing. The toilet flange of the drain pipe seems to work better when it is not flush with the flooring. But he might no have a leak if he uses the wax toilet ring with the plastic insert. Before he installs the shower you might have a tile installer come and give him some insights or a plumber.

He did do a great job Thanks for the advice!

Toilets are set on top of tile all the time. Where the problem comes in is that the toilets are not properly set or maintained, which then causes the leak. When setting a toilet on tile, the tile is flush with the flange (drain under the toilet ). It is imperative that both the flange and toilet base be as clean as possible so that the wax ring sticks and creates a good seal. I personally like the wax rings with the plastic flange insert, it just adds one more "anti-leak" measure to the equation. The toilet is then gently wiggled into place so that the wax ring is crushed evenly and the toilet sits firmly on the floor. Add nylon shims around the perimeter of the toilet if the tile is uneven enough to cause the toilet to wobble. The hold down nuts are then tightened just until snug, if they're over tightened you can break the base of the toilet. After one to two weeks, go back and check the hold down nuts again to make sure the toilet hasn't further settled into the wax ring and become loose. One of the reasons to fully tile under the toilet is that it seals the floor to the flange so that if any leak occurs, it will weep out from under the toilet and be seen (as long as it's not been caulked to the floor). It's also a cleaner, neater, more professional look than trying to notch and grout around the base of the toilet.

I've never seen tile go under a tub/shower, and IMHO it shouldn't because it will create height issues with drains and possibly support issues depending on the type of tile, installation method, and tile base (underlayment of the tile ). Another reason is that during construction, the tub/showers are usually installed during the plumbing rough-in and rough framing and flooring is one of the last items to be installed, so as a matter of timing, you'll be hard pressed to find finished flooring of any type under a tub/shower.

Whether you tile around or under a cabinet is personal preference, both methods have their merits. If you've got a pedestal sink, tile under the sink area first, then install the sink. The pedestal slides into place after the sink is set (attached to wall) and you'll need to be able to remove the pedestal for access to the sink drain and supply lines. Like the toilet, it will also be a cleaner, more professional look to have the pedestal on top of the tile, rather than the tile butted to it.

Hope this helps.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just to add... the flange should rest on top of the tile, and fastened to the subfloor through the tile. This prevents a mis-sealing of the wax ring or need to use over-sized or even double rings.

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Just to add... the flange should rest on top of the tile, and fastened to the subfloor through the tile. This prevents a mis-sealing of the wax ring or need to use over-sized or even double rings.

Shaun
    The flange should always be flush with the finished floor, otherwise the wax ring is crushed too much creating a poor seal and the smashed out portion can partially block the drain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce summed it up perfectly, expecially regarding the toilet flange...the only thing i have to add is that i prefer to tile under the vanity, main reason being is that the vanity usually gets replaced more often than the floor so if, a few years down the road, you decide to replace the vanity, if the new one doesn't match up perfectly with the tile cut around it, you're still covered.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The flange should always be flush with the finished floor, otherwise the wax ring is crushed too much creating a poor seal and the smashed out portion can partially block the drain.

Howdy, I the toilet flange and linoleum always slightly above the finished flooring? With our knowing how the tile was installed mastic or thin set ... my concern was that the flange was not below the height of the finished flooring.

The Uniform Plumbing Code says the underside of the flange shall rest on top of the finished floor. Also past practice dictates this also as seen by 95% of the bathrooms I've gutted. The idea is to smush the wax ring, therefore the airtight seal. However, I have little time to argue a useless point, but would advise people who prefer to set the flange flush to use the over-sized wax ring.

Shaun