+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Toilet tank leak

Water continues to leak from the toilet reservoir tank into the bowl. I've replaced the flapper (many times), tried all new complete replacement kits (twice - different manufacturers) and the problem continues. I get no water on the floor, so that's not the issue, and yet water contunues to leak at a rate of about one pint every 20 minutes. I'm baffled and would appreciate help. Thanks.

Jim

Default Re: Toilet tank leak

Did you also replace the fill valve? If you did you may have pushed the refill tube to far down into the overflow tube causing the water to siphon out of the tank into the overflow.

John

A few things come to mind.

1 - Water level set too high and escapes through overflow, causing toilet to refill.
    2 - Leaking flapper - Chain can be too short, preventing proper seal. Chain can be too long and getting caught underneath. Flapper not sealing to flange due to misalignment, wrong flapper for assembly, damaged flange.
    3 - The stand pipe (overflow ) could be cracked.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It certainly looks like you already spent a little fortune here. Don't you think that a new tank would be the cheapest answer? (in terms of money, time and frustration.)

I would go along with Spruce & check the flapper and refill tube; these are the only 2 ways tank water can get into the bowl.

Use a long thin stick with the tank cover off to compress the flapper at different points & angles to see if you can hear a change in the water leak flow sound, or complete stoppage of the leak; also closely check the refill tube, not only for cracks, but they tend to corrode at the bottom to the point where holes are formed, creating a leak.

Unscrew the refill tube & replace with new one unless the old one is in good shape with no corrosion or cracks evident.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 04-08-2012 at 11:30 PM.

If the flapper has a brass seat (common in older toilets; most new ones are plastic), it may be corroded. There are two options: replace the whole assembly, or install a new seat & flapper that attaches with a rubbery adhesive.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Get a new combo flapper/seat/fill tube and tank donut. You'll want new tank bolts and washers while you're at it. If the darn this still leaks water into the bowl and the fill valve is OK you've got a crack somewhere.

Unless the porcelain itself cracks, the rest of the parts in a modern toilet are cheap and easily replaceable, though rusted hardware can be a bugger sometimes. For an hour's work you save at least $50 over buying a new toilet and it will work as long as a new one too.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Get a new combo flapper/seat/fill tube and tank donut. You'll want new tank bolts and washers while you're at it. If the darn this still leaks water into the bowl and the fill valve is OK you've got a crack somewhere.

Unless the porcelain itself cracks, the rest of the parts in a modern toilet are cheap and easily replaceable, though rusted hardware can be a bugger sometimes. For an hour's work you save at least $50 over buying a new toilet and it will work as long as a new one too.

Phil
    What he said his problem was he had water leaking from the tank into the bowl. If the tank was cracked it would be leaking onto the floor. Why are we advising him to buy a new toilet for a simple repair? Just my opinion.

john

John,

I always advice regular folks with little DIY experience to get a new tank, which may be cheaper than countless trips to the stores, time, gas, money and frustration wise.

Sure, if the DIY knows how to fix the leak, and fixes it on the first try, a repair is a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    John,

I always advice regular folks with little DIY experience to get a new tank, which may be cheaper than countless trips to the stores, time, gas, money and frustration wise.

Sure, if the DIY knows how to fix the leak, and fixes it on the first try, a repair is a lot cheaper.
    You have to be kidding!! That's like selling a car when it needs new plugs. With little experience and the vast different stiles of toilet tanks how would he know what tank to get?

John