+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy What's in Composite Decking Warranties

Staring a new decking season with new materials, and when I read what is not covered by warranties for current composite decking, I was shocked that the effects of the weather, sun, and atmosphere are excluded! Seems that all they really guarantee is that the board won't crack, check or split like wood. Also, some PVC warranties will only warranty a color fading difference beyond 5 delta units - what is a delta unit, and how do you know how much it faded unless they measured the board at the time of installation. Also noted that warranties are void if decking isn't properly cleaned twice per year with expensive cleaners. And then really how good is a warranty when the only way to enforce it is through class action lawsuits that settle for pennies on the dollar? Anyone else look into this - I'm curious.

Default Re: What's in Composite Decking Warranties

Quote Originally Posted by northdeck View Post
    And then really how good is a warranty when the only way to enforce it is through class action lawsuits that settle for pennies on the dollar? Anyone else look into this - I'm curious.
    Welcome to America!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A customer called me for an advice about an 8 year old composition deck that was turning into dust.

With the scorching sun most of the day, the poor composite had no chance. Warranty? don't make the manufacturer laugh. Class action law suit? was invented by lawyers who seem to be the only ones to benefit.

This is why I use REDWOOD, cleaned and stained every time it shows signs of aging. Redwood may not be the best answer for all areas though. Talk to experienced deck builders in your city.

Talking Re: What's in Composite Decking Warranties

So, you think a bunch of sawdust and recycled milk jugs should last a thousand years!

Seriously, If I has some of that stuff on my deck, and it is not too far gone, I would encapsulated it with a good 100% acrylic deck paint ASAP. It is the sun's UV rays which are breaking down the plastic and the sawdust fillers. Cover it up! It is somewhat telling that Home Depot has a separate color chart to match all the major plastic decking manufacturer's products.

I had a client comparing a paverdeck quote with a composite deck quote - and after she saw what was actually excluded from the warranty - she felt deceived by the composite decking salesperson.