+ Reply to Thread

Smile How do you remove this adapter?

I'm trying to remove a 1 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch adapter off a 1 1/2 inch metal T adapter. There is no where to grip it or turn it. The only thing that I noticed was a 'slot' in the front where it looks like you would put a chisel and hammer it off (see red circle below). Has anyone ever seen one of these. The house was built in the late 50's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: How do you remove this adapter?

You need to get a "pipe and nipple extractor" from your local plumbing supplier or from the web.

BTW, now I see where the completely clogged drain piece (you had in a different picture) came from. Once you extract the reducer, install an ABS drain line and you will have some peace of mind.

Smile Re: How do you remove this adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You need to get a "pipe and nipple extractor" from your local plumbing supplier or from the web.
    THANKS dj1 for your help with this. I really appreciate it!

I've never used one of these before. From the pictures that I've seen of them they seem to work similar to a screw extractor, where it grips the adapter from inside (where the 1 1/4" pipe used to be). Is that correct? If so, then wouldn't I need a 1 1/4 inch extractor? The largest that I've seen is 3/4 ". I see this other style but can't figure out how they'd work.

Once you extract the reducer, install an ABS drain line and you will have some peace of mind.
    The drain line, trap and the new replacement 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 inch adapter is plastic, it can be seen here.

I was wondering, when you go from metal pipe to plastic, should you use some sort of PTFE thread tape?

I have a set of RIGID extractors, it has the right size.

When using it, lubricate with WD-40, don't force it, be patient, don't damage the thread of the cast iron.

Get a "male adapter", use regular teflon tape, 7 or 8 turns around, insert, don't over tighten. Get a "Bushing" (a reducer from 1-1/2 to 1-1/4) and glue it into the male adapter with ABS cement. Get a long enough 1-1/4" pipe and glue it into the reducer, and you're good to go.

Post Re: How do you remove this adapter?

Couldn't find the right sized extractor so today I got it out using the old trusty reciprocating saw Amazingly it didn't touch the threads. Sink is working better than I can ever remember, but after seeing how bad that pipe was clogged I can understand why. I was going to replace the galvanized pipe but it's 27" long and the guy at the store said I needed to buy a ten foot section and have it cut and threaded. I was thinking of just getting a couple pieces of PVC and making my own 27" pipe to fit. Can you mix PVC with galvanized pipe?

Good job. PVC and ABS can mix with metal pipes.

Thanks! I think that's what I'm going to do. Seems like a better option than having 8 feet of galvanized pipe laying around