+ Reply to Thread

Question Fresh coat of paint

Hi all,
    Inside of our house was painted ~ 5yrs ago. Walls and trim/doors - all latex paint. I would like to freshen it up - that is repaint in exactly the same colour, or a bit lighter... There is no major wall defects, nothing that would require patching. However on closer look - there is some uneven texture, very mild - mostly on the corners... What preparation would you suggest? Would you send it? Primed id again? Anything else?...
    What about the doors and trim? I also see undesirable micro texture - from brash strokes I think... What can I do with them? Also few nods started "leaking" through the paint...
    Please advise.
    Thank you.

Thank you.

Lightbulb Re: Fresh coat of paint

Housedoc,

The texture can be touched up with spray cans and then spot primed.

Unfortunately, latex paint does not sand well. It just clogs up your sandpaper. You can try going over the brush marks on the doors, but I doubt it will help much.

As to the knots bleeding through: shellac or BIN shellac based primer will seal in this type stain.

I assume you are going to re-paint using latex/acrylic paint again. The best way to get a good finish on the doors is by spraying it if you have access to airless spray equipment.

If you are brushing the doors, working rapidly is critical with latex paints due to their rapidly setting up. You want to get the paint on evenly and rapidly, to this extent, I like to use a 4 or 7 inch foam roller followed by a quick brushing out of the roller texture. In brushing into the corners of the door panels (assuming you have a panel door) you will of neccessity get paint onto the frame of the door. You must immediately wipe the face clean before the paint sets, otherwise brush marks will occur which will be very difficult to remove. All the panels should be painted first, followed by painting of the frame.

You must resist the irresistable urge to keep brushing thinking that you can make the initial brush marks will go away. Latex paint will level itself, but it has only a couple minutes before it sets and will no longer level! The addition of a little Floetrol to the paint will give you a little more wet time and leveling.

Talking Re: Fresh coat of paint

Hi ordjen, thank you very much. You are a walking paint encyclopedia.
    Can you guide some more...?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Housedoc,

The texture can be touched up with spray cans and then spot primed.
    What kind of spray cans?

As to the knots bleeding through: shellac or BIN shellac based primer will seal in this type stain.
    Yes, I saw this product in a spray can- is it OK for this type of work?

I assume you are going to re-paint using latex/acrylic paint again. The best way to get a good finish on the doors is by spraying it if you have access to airless spray equipment.
    No, I do not have an access to airless spray. What about oil based paint - I am willing to try... Where do I go from here?...

Talking Re: Fresh coat of paint

Oh, I guess I did not use the "quote" function correctly... Sorry

Default Re: Fresh coat of paint

Housedoc,

The texture paint spray cans are available at any good paint store or home center. There are a couple variations for the different textures and they are adjustable. You will want to practice on a piece of cardboard before committing to the wall.

The BIN spray is fine, but it might take a couple light coats. Brushing tends to put on a heavier coat.

Oil paints are fine and are compatible over the latex. In many ways, oil paints are actually easier to use then acrylics, mainly because they have much more "wet time" and will level themselves better. Oil also dries harder and is easier to sand should some imperfection needs to be removed with sandpaper. Oil will feather out, acrylic merely clogs your sandpaper.

Oil paint is virtually disappearing from the "big box" stores. You will have to go to a paint store that does a commercial trade. For years, Benjamin Moore's "Satin Impervo" was my oil paint of choice. I am sure there are many good similar products from the other manufacturers.