+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Painting treated wood

Hi everyone. I am currently restoring a 52 year old house. A new roof has been installed, and 90% of the facia boards were replaced with new treated boards. I've been doing some reading about painting treated wood, and was hoping you guys could check my planned steps. First, apply a preservative to keep the boards from warping during the three months I wait for it to dry out. Which preservative? Perhaps Thompson's?? After three months, apply 2 coats of primer that is compatible with treated wood. Which primer? Perhaps Kilz? Latex or oil base primer? Then 2 coats of white topcoat. If you guys could please check this plan, and give me some ideas about PRODUCT NAMES, I'd appreciate it. I want to do it right! Thanks, David

Default Re: Painting treated wood

Hi,
    The best way to have proceed was to buy re-dried treated stock in the first place, give it a good rough-up sanding with 80 grit, and use a penetrating primer thinned with turpentine and linseed oil. That has seemed to work for me going on 30 years with PT. The rough-up is crucial because yellow pine has very hard summer grain that resists paint penetrating.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Just wait for the wood to dry. Thompsons is wax which will prevent the paint from adhering properly. Warping is the nature of wet PT lumber. Next time use cedar or KDPT or Hardie or Aztek or Fypon

My big question is what type of "treated" boards are they? Whitte board can be painted right away. "PT" pressure treated need to dry and be oiled primed before painting. I have never heard of "PT" boards being used as facia. If they are pressure treated, they have little notches in them that should be filled to give a good look. Hopes this helps

Using treated for fascia is very odd.

We stain our rough finish fascia boards, and that stain holds many years.