+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Another GFCI question

Last night I was laying in bed and was woke up by a loud "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK...POP!"
    It was coming from the GFCI mentioned in a previous post I had made (I tried putting up the link, but apparently do not have a high enough post count to do so).
    I have not tried resetting/testing just yet.

Is it time to replace it? What was with the clicking and popping? I've never heard it click before. Just pop and be done.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Default Re: Another GFCI question

More info needed: 1. The history of this GFCI. 2. Did it trip the breaker? 3. Any sign of burn? 4. Was anything plugged into this outlet when the clicking occured? 4. Are other outlets connected to it?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    More info needed: 1. The history of this GFCI. 2. Did it trip the breaker? 3. Any sign of burn? 4. Was anything plugged into this outlet when the clicking occured? 4. Are other outlets connected to it?
    1. Here is my post from few months back:
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMcNeely View Post
    Last night we had a bit of a storm with some lightning. I heard a loud pop that sounded like a breaker. We still had power, but I went ahead and check the two panels we have. All breakers were in the on position. Then I checked the two GFCI outlets we have. One needed to be tested/reset and it then worked fine. The other would not test/reset.

I guess my basic question is, is it time to replace the one outlet? A yellow light is on. When I push in the reset button, it just pops right back out.

Also, if I do have to replace it and it is currently a GFCI, it will be a direct swap correct?
    2. No.

3. No.

4. Yes, a rechargeable shaver.

5. No.

I just went and reset it, then tested and reset again.

Any ideas?

It is possible the GFCI is shot. The sound you are hearing might be the internal disconnect relay chattering.
    As a guess -- because the rechargable shaver was plugged in this was a load on the receptacle. Could be there was a surge in the lines during that storm which tripped the GFCI's --- one recovered this may not have.

If you want trying swapping the GFCI's and see if the issue follows --- or just replace it with a new one.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Yes, I'd say replace the GFCI too, with a good quality new one. Follow the instructions in the box. You need to have knowlege in wiring to do it correctly. Also, check the wires to the GFCI.

Please report back.

Ditto dj1 & canuck. The clicking sound might have been high voltage surges that did not quite have enough energy to trip the device.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com