+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Leaking metal barn roof nail gaskets

I had a pole barn built 15 years ago. It is metal siding and metal roof. The builder used nails with rubber gasket instead of screwson tghe roof. The rubber is now going bad and the roof is leaking bad. If there were screws I would just replace them. Because they are nails I can't remove them and any way I try to remove them damages the roof and also looks horrible with dents. I tried nail pullers of all kinds and hammers both with roof protection under them, but nothing works. I also tried caulk on each nail, but that releaks after a year or two and also looks terrible. I just want to pull the nails without damaging the roof and put in new screws. It seems like I just finished paying for this barn and I don't want to tear off the old roof and replace it correctly. HELP!!!!

Default Re: Leaking metal barn roof nail gaskets

Sounds like what you need is a pneumatic device that grips the head of the nail and hammers the nail out without levering against or being supported by the roofing. Kind of like a palm nailer, but with a head like a cat's paw, and directing the force outward instead of inward.

Not sure something like that exists. I did some Google searches and couldn't find it.

Time to invent it, I guess.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Your problem illustrates the inefficiencies and drawbacks of metal roofing. I've seen a brand new Lowes with metal roofing and leaks all over the place where long fasteners are leaking.

can you tract down your roofer?

Quote Originally Posted by mikealexernie View Post
    I had a pole barn built 15 years ago. It is metal siding and metal roof. The builder used nails with rubber gasket instead of screwson tghe roof. The rubber is now going bad and the roof is leaking bad. If there were screws I would just replace them. Because they are nails I can't remove them and any way I try to remove them damages the roof and also looks horrible with dents. I tried nail pullers of all kinds and hammers both with roof protection under them, but nothing works. I also tried caulk on each nail, but that releaks after a year or two and also looks terrible. I just want to pull the nails without damaging the roof and put in new screws. It seems like I just finished paying for this barn and I don't want to tear off the old roof and replace it correctly. HELP!!!!
    Yikes --- that is a pain in the butt. I've never seen modern installation using nails always with screws.

I would be setting the claw of the hammer or pry bar under the nail head -- using a scrap piece of wood to pry onto away from the rib.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The thing is, these nails are likely to be ring shanked, which means even more difficult to pull. As much of a pain in the arse as this is, can you get to the underside of the roof and drive the nails up from the bottom? It is quite likely that the nails are significantly longer than the material in which they are embedded, which means by driving them up from the bottom you'll have something more to grab a hold of on top. Once you've broken their bond by reverse driving them, they should pull significantly easier from the top. If you can't get them with a flat bar, hammer claw, or cat's paw, then get yourself a set of vise grips. As was pointed out earlier, using a block of wood under your pulling device will protect the roof from too much damage. I would highly recommend that you have the replacement fasteners on hand as you pull the old nails and replace them as you go.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would be setting the claw of the hammer or pry bar under the nail head -- using a scrap piece of wood to pry onto away from the rib.

Once you've broken their bond by reverse driving them, they should pull significantly easier from the top. If you can't get them with a flat bar, hammer claw, or cat's paw, then get yourself a set of vise grips

Im with the others...if the nails have metal Hat washers between the rubber washer and the underside of the nail you should be able to grip onto the washer and wiggle it out. I would use screws with the rubber/neoprene washers and the metal hat cap washer....There is a right/wrong way to install/tighten the anchors......The majority of the problem with metal roofs has to do with installation WEATHER/UV/TEMP CHANGES......The metal roofs get pretty darn hot in the summers.

If need be drill the nail head off then remove the washer and grab onto the screw with the vice grips

http://www.tricountymetals.com/insta...n-tips-screws/

http://www.marcoindustries.com/fasteners/quikgrip
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Here is what I have tried: Hitting up from inside the barn so I can get a hammer or bar under the nail head. If I do this I always leave a few dents around the nail being pulled. So that didn't work. Also if I try to pry from the top it REALLY ruins the metal because when they nailed it they drove the nails so the gasket is crushed and the nail is even dented down a little into the metal. I have also always used a piece of wood to pry against, but the whole problem is getting to that point, ie getting the pry bar or hammer or nail puller under the head. I wish someone made a self tapping screw with a head and washer large enough so I can go right tight against each nail. Leave the nail in and drive the screw next to it so the new gasket covers the old nail head. That would be ideal. Does anyone know of anything like that? Thanks again to all.....

Maybe drive them through and dot each hole with Lexel caulk. Then add screws as desired in a new location.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I've seen an old nail-puller that was based on a slide-hammer principle like an automotive dent puller. There was a sleeve that tightened two jaws to grp toe nailhead and it was tightened when you slid the weight. The owner of the old gadget would not sell it and I've never seen another- drats!

But you could probably fabricate something similar or have a local shop do it by welding a small claw to a dent-puller. Alternately you could weld a short length of chain to a vise-grip tool, attach the other end of the chain to a weight or hammer, and use it to pull the nails straight back out on a similar manner. One other thought would be to fabricate a hardwood spacer to fit the channel underneath the nails so pulling them normally didn't crush the channel. That would require repositioning it for every nail- ie a helper underneath.

This is why I don't nail metal roofing. I much prefer screws, the longer the better. they allow replacement or repairs when needed- nails don't.

Phil

I've had some success using a piece of 3/4 plywood (same thickness as raised portion of sheet roofing) placed on top of the purlin, to take the force of the claw hammer or pry-bar. Kind of tedious, but it works. Bigger problem is screws continually working loose! Tightening is the obvious response, but not a long-term solution.