+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Tankless Hot Water Heaters

I am building a new home aprox 2000 square feet with 2 full bathrooms, Laundry, and a kitchen that will be needing hot water supplied to them i have used a normal 210 hot water heater in the past but have always seen tankless hot water heaters be used on this old house we tend to use a lot of hot water when showering and always run out before we are all done taking showers. Was wondering if a electric tankless hot water heater would be the way to go or if it would be able to keep up never used one or been around them to know how efficient they are. Cost to run compared to a normal hot water heater.

Default Re: Tankless Hot Water Heaters

Heavily used electric tankless water heater will take you to the cleaners, and I mean the cost.

Do you have access to gas?

no natural gas avaliable and propane out here in the country where i live is outragious. That is what i figured though that is why i was wondering if a tanked hot water heater would be better off

I would stay away from tankless, for their inconsistency in delivering hot water at all times, initial costs of installation and high maintenance costs.

Will do Thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I would stay away from tankless, for their inconsistency in delivering hot water at all times, initial costs of installation and high maintenance costs.
    Electric units don't have much of a high installation cost and very little maintenance compared to gas or propane units.
    As to inconsistant hotwater delivery -- most issues are usually a result of not having the correct size unit.
    Much of the bad rap are from gas units and poor installations ( many DIY ) --- not sizing the unit correctly --- not having the correct volume of gas supply.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

TBruegman:

If nat gas isn't available & propane is too high, what will you be using for a heating system??? If you by chance will be using forced hot water with an oil-fired boiler you have the excellent option of installing as part of this setup a 40 gallon indirect hot water heater, which will go far to insure you have adequate hot water for showers, clothes washing, etc.

You will need to have forced hot water heating, the rest is a piece of cake.

The operating cost will be no more than a tank electric heater and will likely net a 10 -15 % reduction in utility costs ( possibly more ). Remember you are only using electricity to heat the water when there is a demand and not to maintain the temperature of the standing water in a tank type.

However, a major consideration will depend on where you live and the incoming water temps during winter months. The colder the incoming water temperature the lower the gpm output. Which might require a larger unit to accomodate heavy use during those times --- this will require having a large enough electrical service .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush