+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Best way to extend wires?

Too bad these have been discontinued, they'd be "Ideal" for your situation:

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...=0&l1=twist-on

I don't know why soldering is no longer permitted by the National Electrical Code, but I do belive that it is not permitted in aircraft because soldering changes the temper of the wire, which could lead to metal fatigue and failure when exposed to the constant vibration that aircraft experience.

(Canuk, they are only listed as 'discontinued' on the US site. On the Canadian site, it doesn't say 'discontinued.' Maybe you could start a graymarket trade sending those things to DIY'ers down here in the states!)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...=0&l1=twist-on

I don't know why soldering is no longer permitted by the National Electrical Code, but I do belive that it is not permitted in aircraft because soldering changes the temper of the wire, which could lead to metal fatigue and failure when exposed to the constant vibration that aircraft experience.

(Canuk, they are only listed as 'discontinued' on the US site. On the Canadian site, it doesn't say 'discontinued.' Maybe you could start a graymarket trade sending those things to DIY'ers down here in the states!)
    I remember seeing those a long time ago but haven't seen them lately ( not that I am looking for them ). To be honest I would think they're discontinued because you make your own for nothing -- well - spare wire and a wire nut at least --- so I'm sure there wasn't much demand.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilan View Post
    Excellent explanation canuk! THANK YOU That actually makes sense with the wires heating up, but then why do they allow wires run inside studs? Is the new insulation more heat resisitant?
    The cable ( and conductors ) can handle the heat they are rated for --- it's the solder that's the issue.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Smile Re: Best way to extend wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Found them They are 15.00 a bag. I think Canuk was probably right, you could easily make these yourself for less. Great idea though.

Actually, any place you need to extend a wire, it must be done in an accessable, approved box, that is large enough to contain the conductors (box fill), using non-soldering (listed connectors) methods.

Also, spade lugs are not listed for use on switches and receptacles.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Also, spade lugs are not listed for use on switches and receptacles.
    Well, that's a bummer. I guess you could cut off the spade lug and strip the wire.

I'm not a fan of the "backstab" devices (which depend on the resilience of the internal contacts to hold the wire). I'm not real crazy about wrapping a wire around a screw, especially when the wire is stranded. What I really like are the spec-grade switches and receptacles that you insert the wire into the back, then tighten down with a screw.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Post Re: Best way to extend wires?

If I was building a new house I would use the new Pass & Seymour Plugtail system
    Last edited by MyMilan; 04-19-2012 at 01:20 AM.

First I've seen of these Milan, they look good! Do you know what they cost?

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Smile Re: Best way to extend wires?

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Do you know what they cost?
    Depends where you buy them but they're designed to save money and install quicker (typically in around 1/3rd the time). The pigtails are usually less than a dollar. Receptacles and switches are around 8 bucks (around 30% less in quantity). You can see the brochure on them here. Quick demo here, and get a free sample by going here

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilan View Post
    Depends where you buy them but they're designed to save money and install quicker (typically in around 1/3rd the time). The pigtails are usually less than a dollar. Receptacles and switches are around 8 bucks (around 30% less in quantity). You can see the brochure on them here. Quick demo here, and get a free sample by going here
    Which brings up the value of your time. For DIY, it may not be worth the extra expense. If you're paying someone to do it, then it probably IS cheaper since most of the cost is in labor.