+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice - Wildly Uneven Color

Hi. I apologize for this one, but I'm completely in the dark and a little in over my head.

Just bought a house, in the process of painting before moving in, started with the kitchen (in yellow) which came out ok, had a few slight spots of uneven color or obvious roller coverage but it's liveable.

Then moved on to the living room, in dark red latex paint, eggshell finish, drywall, starting out with all of the walls painted white. (Brand is Colorplace in case that matters) using a roller and a brush for the corners.

Went without a primer since the walls were already painted white, and after three coats, most of the wall has extremely uneven color, with the previous white coat showing through in some places and not others, and obvious roller-shaped bands of dark color in many places. Went back to the store, got a more expensive paint-and-primer mixture in the same color, went over the wall with a fourth coat and did some touch ups as I went. The un-even color bands are worse than the third coat!

I can think of a few things I might have done wrong, but that only helps my other rooms. I'm not sure what the best way to correct the mistakes already made in the living room would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for any advice - I'm dead in the water in regards to one of my most important rooms!

Thanks!

Default Re: Advice - Wildly Uneven Color

Use a primer tinted with 3oz. of black per gallon for your color switch. Red (and yellow) cover horribly, and it was bound to take two coats even over tinted primer.
    Live and/or learn.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Yep, what he said, darker colors require more coats and attention to detail. It is best if you can start with a tinted primer, but it's not a necessity, basically you're just going to have to apply more coats.

What is critical for best overall coverage is to apply the paint properly. You want to keep the roller loaded with sufficient paint to apply an even coating across the wall and you always want to be working in a wet edge to prevent roller and overlap marks.

As you are working an area, before you move on, make sure that the paint you just applied is evenly spread and coating the area well. Go back with more paint or more passes with a semi-dry roller to even the area out.

Let the paint thoroughly dry, then apply your next coat.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

One additional piece of advice: give the paint several hours of drying time between the coats. Dark colors are loaded with as many as 12 to 14 ounces of colorant. These colorants often use etylene glygol, a kissin' cousin to auto anti-freeze, as its liquid base. This dramatically slows down the drying time. Cheating on the drying time will produce exactly the symptoms you state.

The newer low or no VOC colorants require less drying, but I would still give a minimum of 4 hours between coats. Take the manufacturer's advice as an absolute minimum drying time.

Finally, buy a really good roller cover and brush. The cheap covers rapidly mat down. They then do not pick up a good amount of paint and do not lay it down on the wall evenly. They also tend to shed alot.

Hi Face-

Sorry you're havin' trouble!!

I've been on the Retail end of Paint for a decade now...
    I know EXACTLY what's goin'-on here...and why!

You can keep applying your "Red" 'til you're "Blue" in the face, and it won't get any better!

Reason:
    * These tint-bases for DARK colors have very little to none of Titanium-Dioxide, a white pigment that HIDES (meaning very Opaque) very well!
    * BUT....almost all of it has to be left out of these dark bases so the high colorant-load can show ITS color, without being muted by a lot of "White"!
    * Compounding this....Reds & Magenta colorants (Yellows too...) are THEMSELVES fairly sheer, because they're "artificially" created pigments. In contrast, Blacks, Umbers, Red & Yellow-Oxides, & Browns are mainly "Mineral-based". These colorants are much more opaque.
    * Result?? A high load of fairly sheer colorant(s) are going into a tint-base with little hiding-power of its own!!
    * END-result???? EXACTLY what's happened to you unfortunately!

The Remedy??!!??
    * SM alluded to some of it...
    * A Med.-GRAY primer cancels the high "light reflectance" of a WHITE wall. Sorta like wearing sunglasses on a bright day!
    * Since your color is a SHEER one, the white wall is reflecting a lot of its light thru a fairly transparent color.
    * The formula for a gray primer depends on the primer!!! There are deep-tint primers out there too. Some primers can only take 1-2 Oz. of colorant.
    * We have the luxury of having a line of paint (of 3 lines total) that has a "Regular-strength" Black...AND a "High-strength" Black. 18-24 shots of this Hi-power Black often equals 2-3 OUNCES of "normal" Black colorants...
    * DON'T use a high tint-load primer the same color as your final color either! UNLESS your color is Lemon Yellow or other intense Citrus-tone. THEN you may need a primer that's literally almost the color of the paint!

The "Paint-and-Primer-in-One" crap is mostly marketing!
    PRIMERS don't magically make a color more opaque.

>>> PRIMERS are largely meant for ADHESION...NOT for color- hiding or improving opacity.
    >>> The "color-hiding" gained by separate primers is only a secondary benefit.

I can go over a good technique/equipment for applying your paint if you'd like!
    Flawless results pretty much guaranteed!

Faron