Thread: uneven floors

Default uneven floors

I just purchased a 150 year old "fixer-upper". The floors are uneven and I would like to put down hardwood floors. It already has 3 subfloors so adding more wont fix the problem. Without trying to jack up the house does anyone have any ideas! Thanks for any help!!

Wink Re: uneven floors

It depends on how uneven the floor is. Some floor leveling mastics can cover a lot of minor problems. But, if you are talking significant differences (1/4" or more), then the right way would be to start at the bottom and work your way up. The labor for patchwork instead of jacking will probably cost you more in the long run and still not be right! Good Luck.

Calcats

Default Re: uneven floors

*** 3 layers of sub floor... Is this one room or several rooms?
    How uneven?

this is one room, the kitchen, and in one corner its as much as an inch off!!

Howdy, what type of foundation? Sounds like the kitchens foundation settled. Have settled far too many insurance claims with water damage to wood flooring in kitchens. Refrig ice line breaks, dishwasher leaks...I would never have it in a kitchen. Saw a lino like product that would work great in this area. Consider going to a flooring company and asking them for suggestions. I would not install tile as the floor movement might crack it.