A thin 'scribe molding' may be applied to straighten up the paint line, or you can straighten out the paint line even if it goes down the beam slightly. Both of these are unobtrusive and hardly noticeable to most people, though not original to the period. Just tossing in a couple other options here, but I'd be doing what you are since those little details bug the heck out of me!