+ Reply to Thread

Default Asbestos Tiles on Kitchen Floor

Hi,

We have a house that has 1950's style tiles on the floor. White, pink and teal(ish). It is the style with metallic flecks through it.
    about 8x8 and asbestos.

Over the years, cracks, abrasions, and chips have developed on many of the tiles.

Is there any type of sealant I can use on the tiles? I have used clear packing tape over some jagged edges as a (maybe) temporary fix.

I have asked my husband for years to make the floor a priority. He would like to wait until all things align in the universe and put in just the right floor. Or he suggests waiting until we someday expand the kitchen and do it all at once.

So my question is what can I do on my own with a budget of almost zero and experience to match.

Sealant is my first thought. Screwing down sheets of plywood is second. Would either of these help? I could paint the plywood, no?

I am home all day with three kiddos and I want to reduce our exposure to known toxins.

Thanks for any advice,

Warmly,

Kate

Default Re: Asbestos Tiles on Kitchen Floor

Kate,

You can use a liquid epoxy or similar free flowing filler to fill the voids. Home Burrito sells 5 minute, mixes itself in the nozzle epoxy. Just squeeze in the right amount and keep the kids away for a few minutes. They also have 1 minute epoxy for the truly impatient.

asbestos tiles arent as big a saftey risk as asbestos in plaster.. most abatement companies simply send a couple guys in to remove them with nothing more than a shovel, standard dust mask and some spray bottles to keep the dust down. they will even tell you its something you can do yourself. just be sure to double bag all the debris and dispose of it in a safe manner

your other option is to go over it with a layer of 3/8 plywood then put down a new finished floor
    fire up the saw and make some dust

My PO's put down laminate flooring over the 1940s's tile... that was on top of the original T&G oak floors. Other than being 3/4" too high, it works well.

SOme day if we go to replace hte laminate... we will remove the 2 layers and see if the original floors can be salvaged. The wqulity of those narrow guaue nearly 1" thick T&G flooring a better that most any flooring you cna buy now.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Asbestos in plaster??? Oh boy, is there a way to know by looking at the plaster? We have lots of dings, dents, cracks. and some holes in the plaster. I guess I could get a good look from many angles.

Warmly,
    Kate

Asbestos is only a hazard when its is teensy pieces. Chunks are no problem. As long as you aren't sanding the floor you will be OK

I'd patch and cover with a new floor. If you are planning to change the kitchen in the near future, go with something inexpensive. Whatever floor you choose, I think it will be more than zero to do, but it will give you peace of mind.