+ Reply to Thread

Thread: corrosion

Smile corrosion

I have a 1935 house and i am changing the taps in the bathroom i have taken of the 22m/m pipe and found that the metal pipe which was connected to it, the inside of the pipe is corroded can any one help me . How can i remove the corrosion with out removing the old metal pipe

kind regards
    pete

Default Re: corrosion

If by chance you are referring to the hot/cold supplies then it's very possible the "pipes" are galvalnized steel. Over the decades these will clog with rust and mineral buildup eventually reducing the water flow also, they are prone to leaks at the threaded connections. There really isn't much in the way of cleaning them out . Replacing is the best option.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Is your home located in the USA? we don't have metric pipe sizes, as far as I know.

Smile Re: corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    it's very possible the "pipes" are galvalnized steel. Over the decades these will clog with rust and mineral buildup eventually reducing the water flow
    For the last 3 weeks I've been trying to unclog my bathroom drain. I tried every solution in a bottle and nothing worked, not even those enzymes that are supposed to clean out galvanized pipes. I also tried running a snake but could not get it to run up the pipe. Finally today I decided to remove the entire pipe and "manually" clean it with my pressure washer. What I found is pictured below, and no this picture was not altered in any way....

Default Re: corrosion?

This is a fairly open battery compartment fitting 4 D batteries with room to spare. In two small spots there is some heavy corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter L View Post
    I have a 1935 house and i am changing the taps in the bathroom i have taken of the 22m/m pipe and found that the metal pipe which was connected to it, the inside of the pipe is corroded can any one help me . How can i remove the corrosion with out removing the old metal pipe

kind regards
    pete
    If the pipes are copper and you are seeing a thin layer of green copper oxide, do nothing. That is normal. The copper oxide not only protects the rest of the pipe, it also serves as an anti-bacterial for the water.

Post Re: corrosion

Define "corroded" It also depends on the type of pipe. If it is a galvanized pipe like the one pictured above then you will have to manually clean it out. That's manually as in using a snake or a brush of some kind. Liquids like draino most likely will be a waste of money. I tried every kind of liquid on the market and you can see how the pipe looks just as plugged now as before I started. Most of your problems with cleaning it manually will be with the 90 degree elbows. It all depends on how corroded it is and where the clog is located. More information is needed.