+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sagging ceiling

Default Sagging ceiling

Our home was constructed in the 60's with electric ceiling heat. In one room the ceiling is sagging from the weight of two layers of sheetrock. There appears to be no moisture in the attic and no signs of water entering the attic. How do I repair this problem? The house is unoccupied for about 5 months during the winter. The electric ceiling heat system is no longer in use as a heatpump is used for heating/cooling. We maintain the heat in the house when unoccupied at 60 plus degrees.

Default Re: Sagging ceiling

Howdy you can have additional longer drywall fasteners screws installed to suck the drywall back up to the studs.
    Then some mudding to smooth out where the screws are installed & repainting the ceiling.
    Sounds like you have winter in your area maybe wind blown snow got into the attic and this allows the drywall to sag without some times leaving water staining.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: Sagging ceiling

tim's answer certainly is a possibility but you can verify this by going into the attic and seeing if the blueboard is tight up against the strapping. my guess is that the nails that hold the strapping to the ceiling joists have loosened and the strapping is sagging from the additional weight of two layers of blueboard. if that's the case you might be able to put some long (maybe 2" or 2 1/2") screws through the blueboard into the strapping and into the joists. just make sure that you screw all the way through the blueboard so that the head of the screw pulls the strapping tight to the joist. you might get some cracks that will have to be touched up depending on how bad the sag is.