+ Reply to Thread

Default Low water pressure all around.....

My water pressure is low; both hot and cold run equally slow. It started months ago for no apparent reason. I live in an apartment so my landlord must be responsible for repairs. I talked to his super and himself; they said they would look into it with no results so far. I figure it has something to do with incoming pressure; i.e., clogged pipes, etc. Is there anything I can do before I get a professional involved?

Default Re: Low water pressure all around.....

Quote Originally Posted by ptsmithy@yahoo.com View Post
    My water pressure is low; both hot and cold run equally slow. It started months ago for no apparent reason. I live in an apartment so my landlord must be responsible for repairs. I talked to his super and himself; they said they would look into it with no results so far. I figure it has something to do with incoming pressure; i.e., clogged pipes, etc. Is there anything I can do before I get a professional involved?
    As you stated -- the landlord is responsible for repairs.

Other than contacting the landlord daily for updates then I don't see how you can be directly involved with the repair or get a professional involved --- unless they have given you authority and responsibility to do so.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Low water pressure all around.....

The law may be on your side.

As far as I know, landlords in all states are required to provide a residence which is considered "habitable". Good pressure in faucets can be considered as a condition to make an apartment habitable.

Your first step: write a letter to the landlord and keep a copy. Give him some reasonable time to make repairs, let's say a week.

Second step: if he ignores you or is unable to remedy the condition, your lease may be broken. Contact a landlord-tenant lawyer for advice. Some city lawyers provide free advice.

If the lease is broken by the landlord, you can move out and are entilted to security deposit refunded (providing that you did't cause any damages).

Make sure that everything is documented. One thing you don't want to do is withhold rent or pay rent late.

If you end up in court, you win.