+ Reply to Thread

Question Exhaust venting chimney…liner?

My partner and I bought our first house in MA in July 2011. We knew at the time that the chimney stack above the roofline was in need of attention. Recently we have been receiving estimates for having the chimney issue addressed and they are insisting on a titanium coated stainless steel liner (which is the bulk of the cost) as well as rebuilding the stack from the roofline up. My question is if it is only venting exhaust for the oil fired boiler and natural gas water heater then is a liner necessary? Somewhere I recall hearing that it was not. Thanks

Default Re: Exhaust venting chimney…liner?

Quote Originally Posted by skelkat View Post
    My partner and I bought our first house in MA in July 2011. We knew at the time that the chimney stack above the roofline was in need of attention. Recently we have been receiving estimates for having the chimney issue addressed and they are insisting on a titanium coated stainless steel liner (which is the bulk of the cost) as well as rebuilding the stack from the roofline up. My question is if it is only venting exhaust for the oil fired boiler and natural gas water heater then is a liner necessary? Somewhere I recall hearing that it was not. Thanks
    A liner for a masonary chimney is required. The material type will be specified by your local mechanical code obtainable from the municipal building department.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

the reason for the liner is not only heat related but mainly to prevent CO2 from entering the house.

To add --- the combustion exhaust from oil and natural gas fired equipment is also corrosive to the masonary.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Yes, you need the liner but there are several types so check with the local codes department to find out what types are permissible- you may find a cheaper alternative. Masonry liners are now only permitted for wood burning, and even then a liner is a good idea anyway.

An alternative might be to leave the chimney intact or have it removed to under the roofline, then direct vent the appliances elsewhere. If you do that you will need to seal off all the chimney inlets permanently so nobody tries to hook into them later.

Phil

skelkat:

The chimney contractors you hired for an estimate are absolutely correct! For an oil-fired boiler/furnace, unless a masonry chimney has an existing flue-liner that is in excellent shape without any cracks or leaks, local codes require that a stainless steel chimney liner be installed; this is the only way to guarantee that the deadly carbon monoxide gas that is produced by oil-fired heating equipment is expelled out of the house in order to protect the house occupants from serious illness or death from CO poisoning.

Don't mess with the chimney workers, get this done; this is not a place to question or skimp on a life or death safety issue.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 04-15-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Exhaust venting chimney…liner?

Thanks to all for your advice and help.
    Happy Hammering!
    Greg

We found the same thing when we bought our house. I'm not even sure what type of liner they used now as the seller actually paid for the work, but from the invoice I saw that the liner itself was most of the cost. The brief inspection the regional building guy did got passed so I'm assuming everything was done correctly.

If the exhausting of the house is good then the house always remains smoke free.This site nutone fan parts is the best company in the sales of the exhausting systems.This company also manufacturers products like range hoods,garbage disposals,intercoms etc.