+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dryer venting

Hybrid View

Default Dryer venting

I recently moved our laundry room to the second floor of our home. The dryer vent goes up 5 feet into the attic and the makes a 90 degree turn and runs 5 feet horizontally and vents through the soffit. All duct work is 26 gauge except for a small flex angle through the soffit. I also installed an inline fan to help with exhaust. I have 2 questions, the first is should the exhaust duct be insulated to eliminate condensation? What insulation is recommended?

Default Re: Dryer venting

Quote Originally Posted by vm2688 View Post
    I recently moved our laundry room to the second floor of our home. The dryer vent goes up 5 feet into the attic and the makes a 90 degree turn and runs 5 feet horizontally and vents through the soffit. All duct work is 26 gauge except for a small flex angle through the soffit. I also installed an inline fan to help with exhaust. I have 2 questions, the first is should the exhaust duct be insulated to eliminate condensation? What insulation is recommended?
    Most definately that duct should be insulated. You could can find duct insulation at most hardware or home centers --- and use the foil based duct tape.

There are a couple of concerns though .........
    Venting out the soffit is a bad idea. You will end up creating a rot condition of the soffit and roof deck around the general area. Remember, what is being exhausted from the dryer is warm moist air.
    Also, you will also draw some of that moisture through the soffit into the attic creating condensation issues elswhere.

It's always best to exhaust out a wall , gable end or the roof ( in that order of preferance ).

Secondly , I don't see the need to put an inline fan into the dryer vent duct. This can be a point of lint accumulation and unless you will be up in the attic to regularly clean out the duct would decrease the dryer performance --- worst case could be a source of fire.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I can't say for there, but the building codes here do not allow a dryer vent to run above level so that lint does not become trapped in it blocking the airflow. You're also limited to a 40' run maximum. It really needs to be run level or downhill and be as short as possible regardless of aesthetics. Even in a brick wall, venting through an exterior wall isn't that hard to do and it will serve you a lot better than what you're describing. Hopefully you designed this space where an exterior wall is handy! If it is, cut the interior sheetrock hole first to look inside for obstructions like pipes or wires. It's easier to patch sheetrock that almost all exterior surfaces and it's easier to locate the vent on the outside that way too.

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 04-15-2012 at 05:23 PM.

thanks for all the input. I did go ahead and explore all the very good points. Here is what I came up with. The dryer booster fan is made to help exhaust the dryer when having to run the venting up through your attic and or horizontally. It is designed to handle lint and exhaust it. the recomendation is to check it once a year. I normally check and clean the entire system 2 times per year. I left the venting of the dryer going into the soffit but put a 4 inch round hole in it and capped it with an exhaust hood with no louvers. I then put a large hole plastic mesh over it to prevent birsd from entering it. the entire exhast can be acessed with a long shop vac hose for cleaning. Venting through a gable end would be 2.5 times longer than going through the soffit. Please share your thoughts.

It appears that you are not going to change the route of your duct, and it seems that you have covered most of the bases, so my recommendation is that you keep a good, thick coat of paint on the soffit around the duct. There will be a lot of condensation in this area.